Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

'Breastfeeding Myths Debunked' - Breastfeeding moms don't need support

Posted by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:41 AM
  • 162 Replies
2 moms liked this

Today we are debunking the myth that breastfeeding moms don't need support.

While breastfeeding a baby is natural and for some moms it comes easy, it's important that every mom has support. Many medical professionals are not experts when it comes to breastfeeding. They don't know how to help a mom who is experiencing problems. 

Let me share my personal story with you. 9 1/2 years ago, I gave birth to my first son. I was set on breastfeeding him until he turned one. I managed to make it until he was about 2 months before I started to give up and supplemented formula-not thinking he was getting enough and because all he wanted to do was eat. Finally around 4 months, I gave up all together.

Fast forward 2 years and the birth of my second son. I didn't even attempt to breastfeed him. I just 'knew' from my experience with ds1, I'd never be able to deal with a toddler and nurse my newest little one. He received formula right from the start.

I found CafeMom (even before I became Cafe Jenn) and learned so much from the moms here. I have successfully nursed my daughter for the past year and we're still going strong. Without the support, I received in the past year from everyone here, I'm not sure we would have succeeded past the first couple of weeks. 

Share your breastfeeding story. Where have you been able to find support? 

by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:44 AM
1 mom liked this
I would not be breastfeeding if it wasn't for these ladies! Aiden would not latch after birth (now we know it was because of his tt) so i ended up EPing for 8 full weeks.... and these ladies helped me get him back to the breast, deal with OS/OAL and have helped us keep breastfeeding for 9 months now! Thanks ladies :) for listening to all of my whiney self doubt and giving me the tools to keep my little guy healthy and 100% breastfed!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
bear.katten
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:51 AM
2 moms liked this
I have no support and BFing has been so difficult with resistant thrush, a low milk supply and people constantly telling me to FF :-(
But we have made it almost 7 1/2 months and I will not give up!!!!
mom2the.rescue
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:51 AM
1 mom liked this
I believed this with my first baby...I just thought it would be such a natural process. Boy was I wrong! The only type of support I ever got with any of my babies was a nice nurse in LDR after baby3, and cafemom. I am so grateful to that nurse and CM, if it weren't for that support, I doubt I would've lasted so long with my last 2 babies.
Mommabearbergh
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:54 AM
Dd 1 was breast fed for a week out the gate it was bad.they sent me a lactation coach who spoke Spanish. I do not.althoug my name would make a person think so. She kept pushing dd1 head into my breast which made me uncomfortable because I have 46 dd and I was young.had no support from family because everyone ff. this time I am breast feeding dd2 isn't here yet and I feel like there is so much support here.this time I will also have more help from people within my religion because breast feeding is very promoted
proudmama11212
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:54 AM
Right here!! The first 2 weeks i wanted to give up and hubby and dear mother werent very helpful!! But here i got the support i needed here and almost 5 months going strong!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Emeraldmama7
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:55 AM

I have nursed 5 kids.  I have been very lucky that I did not have any latch on or supply issues, but I still needed support! 

I worked and went to college while my 1st two were little.  I didn't have anywhere to pump (other than the bathroom stall) and I ended up supplementing with formula when they were around 5 months old.  I wish I would have known that support is out there and I should have asked for a conference room to pump in.  I felt like breastfeeding was taboo 11 years ago and a little support would have gone a long way. 

Without support I would not have allowed my 4th child to nurse for 2 1/2 years, not to mention while I was pregnant with my 5th.  Everyone tried to talk me out of it, but with the support of you ladies here I knew I was making the right decision for me and my kids.  I am currently breastfeeding my 6 month old and I plan on allowing her to self wean as well.  =)

Eliots_momma
by Jessica on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:55 AM
I wouldn't be bf as I type wo support. I was told by the ped he wasn't getting enough milk and the lc I saw said I wasn't producing enough bc I could only pump about 3 oz :(

My hubby has been our biggest cheerleader. This site too has helped my through the dark times, find answers when something was wrong and to ignore dr when doling out bf advice.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mandalyn74
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:55 AM

My husband was not as supportive as I would have liked and my mother had passed away before my daughter was born, but I did find support from our lactation resources at the hospital when I needed help.

teal.blaze
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:56 AM

I live 2 hours away from anyone, and no one really breastfed besides my MIL. She tried to help the first day or 2 home, but then she had to go back home. I tried everything and just couldn't get him to latch. I went to a LC multiple times. Just couldn't get it. I pumped for 13.5 months. By the time he was 2 months, he wasn't getting even one drop of formula anymore (it was never more than a bottle or 2 a week).

kfrog13
by Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:57 AM

Support is so important, even if you don't have problems.  Some of my support just came from the fact that my mother nursed all three of us.  I got a lot of support from reading stuff online.  Much of my support was internal and just belief in myself.  My son is now almost 20 months and is still nursing! We just keep going.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)