Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

do they make EXTRA small breastshields?

Posted by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 2:06 AM
  • 15 Replies

I have the small 21mm breastshield. pumping is painful, it makes me not want to pump. I have been looking at the fit and it looks like I need a smaller size, but I cant find any smaller sized ones??

____________________________________________________________________________________

Non-vaccinating, breastfeeding, babywearing, co-sleeping, cloth diapering, attachment parenting, anti-CIO,  crunchy momma of one happy little baby boy. :)

by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 2:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
oliver92
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 2:21 AM

I hated hated hated breast shields it was really painful, and I am a DD, I was doing what I was shown at hospital bc it had been so long since my first, and then had to call on a LC, she had me stop using the shields, adjusted the pump down slower pace, bc my ds ate so slow and in small increments I wanted the pump to mimick his feeding.  Much better than.  call a LC she can probably watch you, assist you etc.  I used a medela pis and my friend used same I think she was mabye an A.  the shields like sucked in my nipple and it was hurting and would make me sore. I know there have been post about shields for inverted nipples that moms talked about helping them

LucyHourglass
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 2:29 AM

if you didnt use breastshields what did you use??

I can talk to an LC next week, there is a free breastfeeding group near me. 

Quoting oliver92:

I hated hated hated breast shields it was really painful, and I am a DD, I was doing what I was shown at hospital bc it had been so long since my first, and then had to call on a LC, she had me stop using the shields, adjusted the pump down slower pace, bc my ds ate so slow and in small increments I wanted the pump to mimick his feeding.  Much better than.  call a LC she can probably watch you, assist you etc.  I used a medela pis and my friend used same I think she was mabye an A.  the shields like sucked in my nipple and it was hurting and would make me sore. I know there have been post about shields for inverted nipples that moms talked about helping them

____________________________________________________________________________________

Non-vaccinating, breastfeeding, babywearing, co-sleeping, cloth diapering, attachment parenting, anti-CIO,  crunchy momma of one happy little baby boy. :)

oliver92
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 3:57 AM

I think I am talking about nipple shields and you are referring to the actual larger shield, what pump are you using?  take it with you to your group and have someone watch you, it could be as simple as the way you are positioned or holding it, I had to adjust my medela to such a slow speed with my last, it drove me crazy to pump.  Sorry about the mis read. 

MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:57 AM
Are you talking about the horns on the pump?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
teal.blaze
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 10:19 AM

What brand pump are you using?

LucyHourglass
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 2:21 PM

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

Are you talking about the horns on the pump?

yes

LucyHourglass
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 2:21 PM

medela pump in style

Quoting teal.blaze:

teal.blaze
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 2:28 PM

That's the smallest they have. This is going to sound weird, but have you tried the next size up? I though I needed the 24mm, but that was actually worse than the 27mm, so I had to go up to the 30mm and that did the trick.

Quoting LucyHourglass:

medela pump in style

Quoting teal.blaze:

LucyHourglass
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 2:59 PM

medela pump in style

Quoting teal.blaze:

LucyHourglass
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 3:00 PM

i didnt try the large, i tried the medium and that hurt, i thought your aerola isnt supposed to get sucked into the tube?

Quoting teal.blaze:

That's the smallest they have. This is going to sound weird, but have you tried the next size up? I though I needed the 24mm, but that was actually worse than the 27mm, so I had to go up to the 30mm and that did the trick.

Quoting LucyHourglass:

medela pump in style

Quoting teal.blaze:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)