Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

My baby weaned and I'm GAINING GAINING GAINING!

Posted by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 2:23 AM
  • 15 Replies

Hi ladies, I don't post often but I need some advice. I nursed my daughter until she was 20 months. I had my son right after my daughter turned one so I tandem nursed for almost a year. I went right back to my pre-pregnancy weight after both babies. When my daughter weaned even though I was still nursing my son, I started gaining weight drastically. I was 145 and within a couple months was in the 170s. I started working out more, trying to eat less calories but I'm not losing anything, inches or pounds. I have NO clothes that fit :( My son is now 18 months and is starting to wean. I'm so worried that I will pack on even more weight. I already eat pretty healthy, and having 2 babies I eat small meals every few hours when I have the time. I know there are things I'm already doing right. I don't know if my metabolism will reset after I stop nursing. Maybe I'm not losing because of the nursing, I don't know. The weight thing has nothing to do with how long I will nurse my son though, I'll nurse him for as long as he wants but he is losing interest earlier than my daughter did. He only seems to want to nurse when he doesn't feel good or is fussy. I offer it to him a lot more than he comes to me and asks for it. I'm asking here because I know that my body is very different since I've been nursing for 2 1/2 years straight. I don't think I can get the right answers from moms that dont' know what your body goes through when you nurse. I hope you all don't mind that I posted this here, I just feel like the 2 things are related. I'm sure I'll be coming back soon asking what to do when he does wean. I have a feeling I'll still be producing milk for a long time. Any advice is welcome :) 

by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 2:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
oliver92
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 2:49 AM

Well first, talk to your dr because there is probably an underlying issue that has nothing to do with bf. Although, its emotional to stop bfing, but if your careful, there are probably other health issues going on that they can assist you with.  I couldnt lose weight for anything and the only thing that helped was counting calories and getting rid of all red meat. My son 11 and I both started on this and consistently lost and maintained lost weight. Not the easiest to keep up with when I had a houseful of people eating everything else. :)

cheffiecms
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 4:46 AM
I have been talking to my dr but he doesn't know much about BFing. I have an over active thyroid which usually makes it easy to lose weight. I'm getting my levels checked soon, I'm thinking maybe it's slowing down so my metabolism is too. If that's the case then when my son weans it will definitely be worse :(
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
snowpeasmom
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 4:58 AM
You could have graves, which means your thyroid is now hypo u had hyper until I had my son then it went hypo. Instead of loose the 40 I gained with pregnancy, I gained another 40... I was eating small meals but I didn't work out....I have now lost 20 pounds
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cheffiecms
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 5:03 AM
Graves is definitely a possibility. I have nodules throughout my thyroid. I know that new mommies are tired and have a tough time losing weight but this is pretty rediculous. I'm beyond exhausted all the time. I'm going to see the endo soon. I'm not on any meds or anything, I'm not sure what they can do if it's still over active. I've always just watched the levels. I guess if its my thyroid at least that's an answer. Makes me a little afraid to have my son stop nursing.
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Mar. 20, 2013 at 5:29 PM
Have the thyroid checked!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Analugojana
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 7:01 PM

I have hyperthyroidism but if anything I can't put a pound on. I've already lost all my pregnancy weight which was little anyway. Hypothyroidism slows metabolism down. Get checked but I doubt it's overactive.

Quoting cheffiecms:

Graves is definitely a possibility. I have nodules throughout my thyroid. I know that new mommies are tired and have a tough time losing weight but this is pretty rediculous. I'm beyond exhausted all the time. I'm going to see the endo soon. I'm not on any meds or anything, I'm not sure what they can do if it's still over active. I've always just watched the levels. I guess if its my thyroid at least that's an answer. Makes me a little afraid to have my son stop nursing.

SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Mar. 20, 2013 at 7:08 PM

When I concieved #3, I'd been nursing #2 for 2.5 years and had just started packing on weight.   I chalked it up to getting close to the big 3-0 and my metabolism changing on top of me eating the same amount I always had despite burning fewing calories (since he wasn't nursing as much).

I have yet to be far enough beyond weaning to know if it makes any difference... but I just figure I've got to work for it from now on.   Do you work out at all?

cheffiecms
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 12:49 AM

I get it checked regularly, it's been overactive for 10 years now. I did the same thing with both babies, with my first I lost it all in 2 weeks, and with my son I lost it all in about a month. I kept it all off until my son was about 10 months (when my daughter weaned) thats when I started packing on the weight. It has stayed the same for a couple months now despite my efforts. I'm worried that my body has just been so used to my thyroid running so fast that even if its still overactive its probably not as much as it was before. Last time it was checked a few months ago it was still overactive :/ 

Quoting Analugojana:

I have hyperthyroidism but if anything I can't put a pound on. I've already lost all my pregnancy weight which was little anyway. Hypothyroidism slows metabolism down. Get checked but I doubt it's overactive.

Quoting cheffiecms:

PerfectAccident
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 12:55 AM
You burn calories when you breastfeed, and you lose them through your milk. Weaning one baby but still nursing the other could explain it, because you are cutting your breastfeeding in half which would make your calorie loss half as much as it was before. Make sense? I don't know if I'm explaining that well enough, lol.
cheffiecms
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 12:56 AM

I do work out anywhere from 3 to 5 days a week. That is what is so frustrating, I workout and I eat fewer calories and I'm still hanging right around 170. I fluctuate a pound or 2 but it stays right there and has been for months now. I don't want to have to be crazy and workout 2 times a day and barely eat any calories. I wasn't working out before so you'd think I'd start to lose something. I'm starting to think there is something else going on. I'm only 5'3" so weighing 170 is  A LOT for me. If I go up much more after my son weans I know I'll get super depressed :( I already can't fit into anything but with working out I just keep waiting for my clothes to fit better. I guess we'll see what happens when this lil one weans. I know that if I wanted to stop nursing I could right away, he never asks for it anymore so all I would have to do is stop offering it. I really wanted him to nurse at least till his next check-up, I love comforting them after their shots with nursing. We'll see, I'm going to make a doctors appointment in the next few days. I really need to figure out what's going on. 

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

When I concieved #3, I'd been nursing #2 for 2.5 years and had just started packing on weight.   I chalked it up to getting close to the big 3-0 and my metabolism changing on top of me eating the same amount I always had despite burning fewing calories (since he wasn't nursing as much).

I have yet to be far enough beyond weaning to know if it makes any difference... but I just figure I've got to work for it from now on.   Do you work out at all?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN