Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Engorgement when milk comes in

Posted by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 2:10 PM
  • 7 Replies
Hey ladies, I had my little guy on St. Patty's Day and my milk started coming in last night. He's a night champion nurser so last night was no big deal, but after waking up from a nap today I'm so engorged. I put him to breast & that helped some, but he only wants one side for now. What should I do? Do I need to pump off the excess milk?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 2:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
kss12
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 2:12 PM
This happened to me also.. I was engorged for the first month pretty much. I wouldn't pump because that stimulates more production where you don't need any more.. And what I was told by my LC was not to pump for the first month. I used to get a shallow bowl with hot water and put my boob in it to help drain some of the milk. Then the next time he nurses put him to the more engorged boob. Hope this helped!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Brandy85412
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 2:22 PM
Congratulations! Being really engorged should only last a day or two. engagement will still happen if a feeding is missed or they changed their pattern as your body regulates it self. Just nurse as much as he wants. I made the mistake of pumping. it doesn't help. Hand express some maybe to take off some of the pressure. I thought my boobs were going to explode with my second i was so engorged ouch!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Aireeahnah
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Congrats! This is normal for most women unfortunately, but you do not want to pump. If you start pumping one side while he eats off another, your body will think he is consuming all of that milk and increase your supply to match his needs. What you're going to have to do is wait it out and try to make yourself as comfortable as possible, and your body will eventually adjust to what he is eating. I was REALLY engorged for a few days, and moderately engorged for a few more. So it was just about a week and then my breasts adjusted themselves. My suggestions are try and keep from wearing a bra or even wear an extra large nursing bra as much as possible. You can worry about support when your breasts are more comfortable. I tried to put hot washclothes over them and massage them through the pain a little bit in the shower, and that occasionally helped. You'll get through it, don't worry. :)

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Mar. 21, 2013 at 2:56 AM
2 moms liked this
Hand express just enough for relief or you'll tell your body to make more milk than is needed and you'll have to deal with an oversupply and possibly a miserable baby.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
justone_jen
by Jen on Mar. 21, 2013 at 3:54 AM
This!

Quoting aehanrahan:

Hand express just enough for relief or you'll tell your body to make more milk than is needed and you'll have to deal with an oversupply and possibly a miserable baby.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
airraidsiren09
by Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 9:34 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone. Going on day 2.5 of rock hard boobs but they feel like they're getting a little better. I guess I was just worried that by not doing anything to treat the engorgement I was telling my body to stop making milk.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Mar. 21, 2013 at 1:42 PM
The engorgement tells your body that you don't need to make THAT MUCH milk. We all start out with an oversupply because our bodies don't know if we had one baby or three! Keep nursing on demand and your supply will regulate to EXACTLY what your baby needs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN