Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Breast feeding at my own wedding?

Posted by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 3:18 PM
  • 29 Replies
I'm 28 weeks pregnant with my second child due June 9th. I didn't get to BF with my daughter because no matter what I did she wouldn't latch on, but I plan to BF for the first year with my son.

I just got engaged last month and we plan on getting married this October or November so by then my son will be 4 or 5 months old. I'm scared though that breast feeding him will be a huge hassale and I won't get to enjoy my wedding day. Now before I get yelled for saying that, I know his needs come first but I also what to enjoy my big day cause after all it only happens once.

How much will he still be eating by 4 or 5 months?

has anybody had to breast feed on their big day? Any advice or tips?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 3:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Amberleigh81
by Silver Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 3:21 PM
1 mom liked this
You'll either need to breastfeed or pump.

Honestly, you'll appreciate the built-in breaks it gives you!
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 20, 2013 at 3:36 PM

To be honest, the mere existence of a 4-5 month old at a wedding tends to disrupt the day for the mom. They're rather demanding! **grin**

You can expect to be feeding every couple of hours.

Sama2Mamma
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 3:43 PM
I just try to keep me happy while keeping baby healthy and we are a zero bottle household so if it were me i would be breastfeeding on my wedding day no biggie.
If you prefer though you could always pump before and give the baby your stored breastmilk. As long as he gets breastmilk and happy you should be good to go :)
Enjoy your wedding day!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
auntkissy
by Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 4:04 PM
1 mom liked this
We are planning on getting married in November! My baby will be 14 months old. I have already been shopping for my dress! What was the first thing I looked at? A top that would be easy to breastfeed with! Breastfeeding is not that hard once you get the hang of it. One thing you should think of is possibly a growth spurt around 4 months! Good luck, Momma! You can do it!
Tylersmom119
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 4:20 PM
Realistically, weddings aren't that long so it's totally doable. Feed baby before you walk down the aisle. Then you should have at minimum an hour or two before feeding again. At that time you could either have someone give a bottle of pumped milk or just take a break and nurse. Then you're good for another couple of hours. Relax and enjoy :)
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 4:32 PM
By then he should be able to go 2-3 hours between feedings. You could also pump for him to have some in a bottle if necessary. You can also feed right before the ceremony, then afterward. If it is possible for your wedding dress to be two-pieced this will also help. You will definitely have to pump or feed to relieve engorgement if it happens.
IansMommy2012
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 4:34 PM
Never had a wedding so here's a bump but personally I would breastfeed who cares what others think. ( this from a woman who feeds in the check out at the store)
Ms.Pteranodon
by Silver Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 4:38 PM
Not to hijack, but I am the maid of honor in my sisters wedding in September. My DS will be 9 month old then...
Analugojana
by Christine on Mar. 20, 2013 at 6:32 PM

My daughter is a week shy of 5 months and she eats every two hours, on the clock. At night twice ar three times at the most although it's open buffet as we cosleep so it might be more without my knowledge ;)

If you really would prefer not nusing those hours I guess you need to find an alternative method of deliver and pump. How many hours are we talking about? You also need to pump while you are there otherwise you're going to get engorged (not fun) and your supply doesn't take it kindly. Nursing the baby would be aesier or postponing your big day until the baby is older and can have some solid food meals.

SunshneDaydream
by Bronze Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 6:36 PM

By 4 or 5 months, it won't be such a hassle!  You'll have it down, and you can also build up a good supply of pumped milk so maybe someone else could feed him! (As long as you excuse yourself to go pump a bit while he's eating...it should only take a few minutes to keep your supply up). I say go for it!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)