Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

First time bfing and have questions

Posted by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 8:04 AM
  • 9 Replies
So nursing didn't work out to well with my first son, and after a rocky start bfing is working very well with ds2. I'm not that educated on bfing "rules" so for the first month Evan wouldn't latch so I pumped and was giving him 4-5oz every 3-4 hours. And seeing all the posts about the 1-1.5oz an hour I now know that was to much. So fast forward he's now latching and it's going well, I have a decent supply for returning to work. So my question is how much do I leave for him while I'm gone??? He was used to 4ish with pumping, idk now what he's getting from the boob so I'm lost as to what to leave for him!!!! Advice would be greatly appreciated!!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 8:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Denisethedaring
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 9:09 AM

For my daughter, I left her with one 3 oz bottle for every 2 hours I wouldn't be with her...that was mostly right--I would say about a quarter of the time, there was leftover milk when I would pick her up. 

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 9:12 AM
Kellymom.com has an excellent article on the why's and wherefores of pumping for work.
Tckosdk.2012
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:25 AM

Get familiar with Kellymom.com It's an excellent site for all of your breastfeeding questions. Check out the section on returning to work. Good luck momma :)

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:43 AM

I would give 3 oz bottles every 2.5-3 hours...slow flow nipple, fed upright, baby burped after each ounce.  This really will help you! WTG to getting him back to breast!!

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:43 AM

BTW I have done this with 2 kiddos, it can be done!!

kvita
by on May. 14, 2013 at 7:00 AM

BUMP!

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on May. 14, 2013 at 10:43 AM
I would give 2-3 ounces every 2-3 hours the way that Tabi mentioned.

http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/employed-moms/childcare-breastfed-baby/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
isaacsmommy68
by Bronze Member on May. 14, 2013 at 2:17 PM

I leave 3 3oz bottles for my son. I am gone 9 hours. Usually he only takes 2 of them. He is 11 months now and still takes the same amount. Every once in a while I will leave one 4oz. I freeze any extra I pump so he does not get overfed. Good luck!

jjchick75
by Silver Member on May. 14, 2013 at 3:00 PM

2-3 ounces every 2-3 hours, with a slow flow nipple, and he should be burped after every ounce. That will never change. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN