Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

So I asked my pediatrician...

Posted by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 12:42 PM
  • 17 Replies
What she thought about baby led solids. She had no idea what I was talking about... Sadly this is a woman who nursed all 3 of her daughters. I tried to explain it to her but she basically thought I meant mashing whatever I was eating up and just feed to the baby. Oh and that she couldn't have puffs and such until she had developed her pincher reflex.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 12:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 12:46 PM
I don't understand how it would confuse someone. You put small, soft, chunks of food in front of baby and they feed themselves lol. Maybe she just never heard the term before?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Eliots_momma
by Jessica on Mar. 21, 2013 at 12:54 PM
It isn't that difficult to understand. I have come across many ppl who thought I was crazy for doing bls. Even dh thinks the baby is STILL gonna choke to death!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Mar. 21, 2013 at 1:37 PM
Huh? Ok! Lol maybe you should print an article next time... maybe it'll be more her language :)
gumeshoe
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 1:43 PM

This is what I am leaning towards. But at this point he is only 5 months, so no food soon. Just explained it to hubby because he has been asking off and on to buy baby food for 2 months. He understood but looked at me like I grew a horn. Hehehe.

Tckosdk.2012
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 1:45 PM

Sounds like my pedi. At my dd's 4 month check he was pushing me to start puree's. I told him I wanted to do baby led solids & he had no idea what that was. I explained it to him & he was like "well then your gonna have to wait until she is 8 to 9 months to get started". I was like "I know but I'm not in any rush to feed her solids". He thinks if I don't force feed her puree's that she will never learn to eat. I highly doubt a baby will never learn to eat & litterally starve to death. Now my dd is 7 months & at her last appt he told me to start giving her bottles. I was like "why the hell would I do that". lol. He thinks that she should get used to taking a bottle just in case of an emergency & I can't nurse her. God, at this point I should start offering a sippy & skip bottles all together. What is wrong with these pedi's? Why do they have to make things so much more difficult than it needs to be? I'm in the process of finding a new dr. He also has never heard of the whole not giving synthetic iron to a bf baby. He keeps pushing me to do Vitamin A, E, D & iron. I explained to him that synthetic iron will bind with natural iron in bm causing the baby not to absorb any iron therefore causing anemia. He looks at me like I have two heads. OMG, I hate my pedi :(

stepconfused182
by Kelley on Mar. 21, 2013 at 2:34 PM
1 mom liked this

I can't hardly read posts like these. It makes me feel a mixture of sadness and anger. I do not understand how a pediatrician cannot have a basic understanding of the importance of breastfeeding and introduction of solids. I understand not having extensive knowledge on lactation issues and topics that are better handled by an IBCLC. A lot of people say pediatricians don't have nutrition and lactation education in college. That's not true at all. We do. Some take several hours of electives. It's a very important part of our curriculum. I don't know if they're falling asleep in class or if they just don't care to listen. It's very furstrating and discouraging that all these peds that people talk about on here are so blatantly ignorant about this subject. The very least they could do is refer you to someone who does have that knowledge instead of simply instructing patients to start formula or solids. It's absolutely sickening to me.

trendy2
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 3:51 PM
I think they just don't care to listen sometimes. This is all new to me as well but I am willing to at least try something new. My other two were formula babies after I went back to work. I had crappy coworkers who would never sit at my desk for me to go pump so continuing to nurse wasn't an option. I worked in a medical office but the two nurses I worked with did what the hell they wanted. So mine started jar food at 4 months just as the Ped ordered. Had I worked for a larger company or one that had an HR dept maybe things would have been different.
arigdon4
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 3:53 PM
Ok so....im about to sound really dumb but can someone explain baby lead solids to this first time mom?
trendy2
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 3:54 PM
Since we are on the subject. My DD doesn't have her pincher reflex down just yet. Should I wait until she is 8-9 months to try? She is 7 mos right now.
MrsRinehart2010
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 3:55 PM

lol I got nothing our daughters dr is wounderfull so was their old one. I love the fact that even tough he has been working for years he it also up todate and if I mention something isnt sure about he ask for more information

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)