Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

no walker? (OT)

Posted by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 1:56 PM
  • 41 Replies

I was bored and stuck in traffic that literally wasnt moving do to an accident so I was reading that little packet of paper they give you with your baby check up at their milestone appointments. It talks about feeding and car saftey and stuff liek that. I also noticed it said "no walkers", Ive never heard anyone say anything about walkers.

My son is 6mo and I put him in his walker all the time, he loves that thing. Is there something I should know or be concerned about?

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
baby wearing, cloth diapering, attachment parenting, breastfeeding first time mamma
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 1:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Mar. 21, 2013 at 1:58 PM

The risks are that they will get to a table or counter and pull something dangerous down on themselves... or falling if there are stairs.   Also, they can actually inhibit walking since they don't learn to balance and rely on the walker to balance them.  

MaryJarrett
by Mary on Mar. 21, 2013 at 1:58 PM
They were almost banned by the AAP.
We don't use them, here, but lots of people do. They are said to slow muscular development or something.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
IrishIz
by Silver Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 1:59 PM

The 2 big things is that once upon a time babies were falling down stairs in them.  Most walkers have been made wider that that this is less likely...though it could still happen.  There is also a belief that the position they are put in isn't good for their hips.

Jujubee12
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 2:01 PM

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

The risks are that they will get to a table or counter and pull something dangerous down on themselves... or falling if there are stairs.   Also, they can actually inhibit walking since they don't learn to balance and rely on the walker to balance them.  

I feel like the first thing mentioned about pulling on things is absurd.. I mean they will walk eventually and do that, just watch your child. 

I dont think Ive ever heard of it inhibiting their walking. My son has already been standing for short amounts of time :s  but maybe its cause we do a lot of walking with him where he holds himself up and we hold his hands.  Thats good to know! We might consider getting rid of it then.thanks!

baby wearing, cloth diapering, attachment parenting, breastfeeding first time mamma
Jujubee12
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 2:02 PM

Quoting IrishIz:

The 2 big things is that once upon a time babies were falling down stairs in them.  Most walkers have been made wider that that this is less likely...though it could still happen.  There is also a belief that the position they are put in isn't good for their hips.

It astounds me that people would let their kid be in a position where they could get to a set of stairs, thats what baby gates are for lol. We dont have stairs in our house luckily. I didnt think about the hip thing though thats a good point.

thank you!

shortyali
by Alicia on Mar. 21, 2013 at 2:03 PM
DS1 had one and he only used it until he started walking then we didn't use it again, DD wasn't a fan at all, DS2 likes it but he's 4 months and likes to follow me in the kitchen only. I've heard it inhibits their walking but I personally have no experience with that. DS1 walked just before his 1st bday, DD walked on her 1st bday and DS2 is too small yet.
Jujubee12
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 2:04 PM

Quoting MaryJarrett:

They were almost banned by the AAP.
We don't use them, here, but lots of people do. They are said to slow muscular development or something.

Wow really? I didnt know that. We got ours from a family member and started using it cause he wanted to be standing all the time but we couldnt be holding him all the time and he likes to walk.  I mean I wear him a lot but he wants to be on the floor standing so its kind of a difficult thing to do all the time lol.

Now Im nervous! 

TaralynnStewart
by Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 2:07 PM
My youngest was the only of my three to use one. We put her in it when we were on the patio. She was walking on her own at 10mths and we still put her in it. She loved to walk fast and bang into things.
Hers was very wide and Had blockers on the bottom so she couldn't go on carpet or switch to a different surface
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MeghMirab
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 2:08 PM
Basically they don't need to be in a walker because they shouldn't be able to have that freedom yet. It's really personal opinion. We didn't use one. We just followed my sons lead with his development. For us that was the best route. When my son was 6 months we used a jumper so he could jump and build strength in his legs.

I don't think they need to be walking at 6m. For most kids that's not an interest until 10+ months. Enjoy your baby being a baby who doesn't get into everything yet. (: but most importantly as long as its safe, do what's best for you and your fam. If that's his fav. Rock it! Whatever you decide is best for him.
Jujubee12
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 2:21 PM

Quoting MeghMirab:

Basically they don't need to be in a walker because they shouldn't be able to have that freedom yet. It's really personal opinion. We didn't use one. We just followed my sons lead with his development. For us that was the best route. When my son was 6 months we used a jumper so he could jump and build strength in his legs.

I don't think they need to be walking at 6m. For most kids that's not an interest until 10+ months. Enjoy your baby being a baby who doesn't get into everything yet. (: but most importantly as long as its safe, do what's best for you and your fam. If that's his fav. Rock it! Whatever you decide is best for him.

thats the thing is he really showed interest in walking and standing which is why we put him in it in the first place. He loves running around in it and always wants us to hold him up in a standing position and let him walk, he makes us do it all the time, its all he wants to do. Hes been inching around and getting into things since 4 months..and hes been grabbing and pulling himself up onto things lately. He has always been trouble lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)