Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

milk supply issues.. help!

Posted by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 4:22 PM
  • 26 Replies
Lately I've seemed to have a real low milk supply. Dd doesn't have many wet diapers, and she doesn't have any dirty diapers for 3-4 days at a time. Today's been the worst. She's tried to nurse, but gets super fussy almost as if she isn't getting anything. She doesn't seem very satisfied after nursing either and she's just constantly fussy. I made lactation cookies, but they don't seem to be working at all. Any ideas on what I can do to help boost my supply or at least keep dd nourished and satisfied? She's 4 months old as of the 14th.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 4:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Mar. 21, 2013 at 4:50 PM
How many wet diapers? How often does she nurse typically? My guess is growth spurt or teething. The best way to increase suppy is nursing. I remember my son being that way during a growth spurt, never satisified and sucked me dry (thats how i felt atleast) my supply picked up by just nursinf through the fussiness......then i had a ton and he decided hedidnt need that much! Lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
youngmom16
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 4:56 PM
Wet diapers, MAYBE 4? And she nurses typically 9 times a day at the most. I do believe she is teething for sure, she chews on things and bites my fingers hard. She loves chewing on my fingers. She will even take hers, bite down then pull her hand out and it sounds like it hurts but she doesn't cry. I'll keep trying to nurse through the fussiness. It's hard, she's stubborn and gets frustrated fast. I have to kind of try to trick her with her pacifier.

Quoting Precious333:

How many wet diapers? How often does she nurse typically? My guess is growth spurt or teething. The best way to increase suppy is nursing. I remember my son being that way during a growth spurt, never satisified and sucked me dry (thats how i felt atleast) my supply picked up by just nursinf through the fussiness......then i had a ton and he decided hedidnt need that much! Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MonicaV1982
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 5:00 PM

How wet are those 4? And poopy counts as two diapers. Take a fresh diaper and put 4-6tbps of water in it. That is a "wet diaper" anything more is considered 2 diapers.

Quoting youngmom16:

Wet diapers, MAYBE 4? And she nurses typically 9 times a day at the most. I do believe she is teething for sure, she chews on things and bites my fingers hard. She loves chewing on my fingers. She will even take hers, bite down then pull her hand out and it sounds like it hurts but she doesn't cry. I'll keep trying to nurse through the fussiness. It's hard, she's stubborn and gets frustrated fast. I have to kind of try to trick her with her pacifier.

Quoting Precious333:

MonicaV1982
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 5:01 PM

Oh, and have you by chance started solids, is she sleeping through the night, are you scheduling or timing feeds, or could you be missing nursing cues?

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Mar. 21, 2013 at 5:11 PM
1 mom liked this
You only need 6-8 wet diapers in the first month for the first month according ti dr. Sears... its within the.normal rabge yi have a poopy diaper 3-4 days at that age as well. At that age you can also go by the color etc if the wet diapers. If its concetrated (very yellow etc. Than you may look into that). But it just sounds like teething, just nurse on demand, she sounds fine and like a normal 4 month old! :) also try frozen breastmilk in a meshbag for teething. If you want to look up the info i told you it will be on dr. Sears website www.askdrsears.com

Quoting youngmom16:

Quoting Precious333:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
youngmom16
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 5:15 PM
The diapers are about 4-6 tbsp water or less sometimes. Also, her pediatrician had me start some solids because she hadn't gained weight since her 2 month appt. I don't use jarred food though, I use fresh fruits, veggies, rice cereal etc using he baby bullet. She nurses 2 times a night usually, and I feed her right after she wakes up from a nap. I don't time them. If she's fussy after a session, I will change her diaper first to make sure that's not the problem.

Quoting MonicaV1982:

Oh, and have you by chance started solids, is she sleeping through the night, are you scheduling or timing feeds, or could you be missing nursing cues?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MonicaV1982
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 5:34 PM
2 moms liked this

There's your issue! Your ped is NOT a nutritionist! Starting solids lowers your production because it works off of supply and demand and babies eat a set volume per day which is being displaced by the food! BM has more calories that baby food per ounce and rice cereal is empty calories that actually cause anemia in BF babies!

Quoting youngmom16:

The diapers are about 4-6 tbsp water or less sometimes. Also, her pediatrician had me start some solids because she hadn't gained weight since her 2 month appt. I don't use jarred food though, I use fresh fruits, veggies, rice cereal etc using he baby bullet. She nurses 2 times a night usually, and I feed her right after she wakes up from a nap. I don't time them. If she's fussy after a session, I will change her diaper first to make sure that's not the problem.

Quoting MonicaV1982:

MonicaV1982
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 5:41 PM

I'm getting that she is nursing about 4 times in 24 hours?

youngmom16
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 5:49 PM
So should I stop the solids? And she nurses about 6 times in a 24 hour period.

Quoting MonicaV1982:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 5:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, you should stop the solids, it will most liekly make her weight gain worse, not better as those solids are lower in fat/calories than your breastmilk.

Most babies need to nurse a minimum of 8-12 times in 24 hours to get enough milk and keep up mom's milk supply. 

Unfortunately, instead of telling you to add solids at 4 months, doc should have tried to figure out WHY baby was not gaining enough.

Lactation cookies will do little or nothing if bayb is not nursing frequently enough and effectively enough.

It looks like she for sure is not nursing frequently enough, now we need to figure out if she is nursing effectively enough.

Can you give us a complete weight history?

Meanwhile, here's some infor on increasing supply:

The golden rule of milk production: The more frequently and completely the breasts are drained, the more milk will be produced: How Mother’s Milk  is Made

Increasing milk production:

• offer both breasts two times at every feeding
  • use breast compressions
  • nurse frequently (at least 12-14 times in 24 hours)
  • increase skin to skin contact
  • rest, and stay hydrated

What this process looks like:

Offer baby the first breast and allow him to nurse as long as he likes. When he starts to slow down on his sucking/swallowing start doing some breast compressionsWhen you squeeze your breast you should see baby respond with an increased sucking/swallowing. Baby has “finished” the first breast when breast compressions no longer get baby nursing more, baby falls asleep or lets go of the breast. When baby has finished the first breast offer the second breast. Repeat the above steps with breast two, (offer breast, use breast compressions and allow baby to finish the breast) then repeat the whole process again with both breasts. If baby is still hungry after taking both breasts two times, then you can continue the process, nursing on one side and then the other, until he is full and/or falls asleep.

When working to increase milk production, increase milk intake, or work to eliminate supplements, spending as much time as possible resting with baby skin-to-skin on your bare chest, encouraging frequent nursing, can make a big difference in a short amount of time. This can also be a chance for mom to rest, with baby napping on her bare chest. It can be a great time to have a movie marathon. If you have older children they can be movies to entertain them while you and baby rest and nurse
Quoting youngmom16:

So should I stop the solids? And she nurses about 6 times in a 24 hour period.

Quoting MonicaV1982:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)