Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

15 months and skin issues starting?

Posted by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 7:16 PM
  • 8 Replies
So within the past month dd has developed a persistent red splotchy rash around her face and she has been scratching her butt and has huge scratch marks on them plus dry skin all over her back/chest. And a small patch on her elbow that almost looks like ringworm. The fastest appt we could get is next Friday. Do I need to get her on an elimination diet? No new foods have been added, no new detergent (all free and clear) /soaps/lotions. Everything we have used since she was born. I feel lost and overwhelmed.

Edit- rash on the face is red/splotchy. Not raised, and is only around her mouth.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 7:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Mar. 21, 2013 at 7:46 PM
I find rashes like that can be caused by weather too...not just food or other allergies. My kiddos excema comes from cold weather
audmom1218
by Silver Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 8:43 PM
We've definitely had our share of cold weather!! Hopefully that's all it is! She's never even had more than a mild diaper rash! Definitely all new to me!!
Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Mar. 21, 2013 at 9:29 PM
My DS started that same thing at 15 mos! I thought it was ring worm at first as well...turned out to be eczema, showed up in November with the cold weather!
audmom1218
by Silver Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 9:30 PM

What (besides breastmilk) can help?  I'm hesitant to put anything on her, but she seems to be scratching a lot. 

preacherskid
by Silver Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 9:36 PM

Hydrocortizone cream will help, and a thick ointment like aquaphor or even lanolin will help seal in moisture.  If it is eczema you want to keep it from getting dry because dryness makes the eczema worse.  My odd has had eczema since she was born, first the doctor said it was baby acne, then dry skin, then when she had a severe flare, several circle patches over an inch across he diagnosed it as eczema and had us start keeping a food journal.  Turns out she is highly allergic to dairy proteins, and has some environmental allergies as well.  Cold, allergies, viruses can all trigger an eczema flare in children, so it may not be allergies for your dd, it may be the weather, or it may be a virus.  

Quoting audmom1218:

What (besides breastmilk) can help?  I'm hesitant to put anything on her, but she seems to be scratching a lot. 

CafeMom Tickers
Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Mar. 21, 2013 at 9:36 PM
Almond oil, aloe vera, and maybe cutting dairy if there is any in either of your diets....

Quoting audmom1218:

audmom1218
by Silver Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 9:42 PM
We are having a winter that just won't quit. I will get another (3rd) humidifier for the house. Yogurt has been a big part of both of our diets for the past 5 months (since she was on abx) so cutting that will be hard for her! Thanks for the tips. Well start implementing them.
Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:02 PM
Same here. So over winter, but that's northern michigan for me :-(

Good luck with treatment :-)

Quoting audmom1218:

We are having a winter that just won't quit. I will get another (3rd) humidifier for the house. Yogurt has been a big part of both of our diets for the past 5 months (since she was on abx) so cutting that will be hard for her! Thanks for the tips. Well start implementing them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN