Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Cheerios?

Posted by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 12:40 AM
  • 10 Replies

When can I give my LO cheerios? she's been eating jarred baby food since 6 months and will be 8 months on the 6th of april. I'm curious, cause she enjoys most foods and wants all the food I eat. I'm afraid of choking though /:

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 12:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
villagemamma
by Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 12:43 AM

i started giving them to my DD at around that same age.  I started with a chunk of graham cracker first since they desolve so quick and are virtually impossible to chock on. If shes does good with that then i think you are in the clear

GremlinMom
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 12:51 AM
MY 9 month old has a quarter of a cup of cheerios almost every morning with a fruit after he nurses. I switch between regular cheerios and the multigrain or honey nut lol he does perfectly fine. IF he has an issue with choking, maybe hold off. My twins i was much more careful because they did choke easily. I took the CPR class in the hospital, I stayed calm and just put them over my forearm and leaned them down, head towards the floor, if you can picture that. It doesn't scare them more, and pat their back gently.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Mar. 23, 2013 at 2:11 AM
2 moms liked this
Babies don't have the enzyme needed to digest grains at that age. It would be better to wait on them until closer to a year. Just give her small chunks of soft foods.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 9:13 AM
Kellymom.com. has an excellent article on baby-led solids which gives you the what, when, how and why for first foods.
prettymommylove
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 2:08 PM

thank you ladies (:

catholicmamamia
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 10:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Agreed.. :o) 

Quoting aehanrahan: Babies don't have the enzyme needed to digest grains at that age. It would be better to wait on them until closer to a year. Just give her small chunks of soft foods.

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                     ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Mar. 23, 2013 at 10:32 PM
Yep. I would wait until a year or later. There are other much more age-appropriate and beneficial natural foods to offer at this stage like banana and avacado chunks.

Quoting aehanrahan:

Babies don't have the enzyme needed to digest grains at that age. It would be better to wait on them until closer to a year. Just give her small chunks of soft foods.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Nadali
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 11:42 PM
I started giving my little one Cheerios around 8 or 9 months. The Cheerios melt in their mouth. I also gave him chunks of avocado, sweet potato and bananas as his first finger foods
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
prettymommylove
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 1:28 AM

I wasn't planning on giving them to her yet, was just curious. we'll wait til a year to be safe. (: i want to give her avocado chunks soon

GwenGray
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 1:30 AM

I started mine out with the vegan puffs that gerber makes called happy puffs. then i went to cheerios at about the same age as your daughter. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN