Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

First generation breastfeeder *rant*

Posted by   + Show Post
So no one in my family beside my 85 yo grandmother has nursed a child, my sister and my dh's sisters did for a few weeks after birth but went to formula pretty quick. So my mil's attitude is "I never did it so I have nothing to say". My mother on the other hand has lots to say. Every time I visit with her and my father, it's a steady stream of comments ranging from letting me know how spoiled my 4 month old is to telling me he's hungry or how I should start him on cereal. He should be sleeping through the night, I was on solids by now. Instead of trying to be supportive I feel like she's judging, constantly. I'm joining the llli meeting in my town next month and enjoy reading your posts on here ladies! If it wasn't for you I don't know if I could have made it this long. How do you deal with uninformed relatives? I just try to give her the correct info but she never seems to "believe me" like I'm making this stuff up. So frustrating!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 12:55 AM
Replies (41-44):
EvilAsh
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 9:12 AM

I'll be in the same position soon. I have no idea what I'm doing as far as breastfeeding this baby is going to go. I didn't breastfeed my first two because of medicaiton I had to be on right after birth. I am with this one though, and I'm nervous because I have no one I know to ask for help or anything.

My mom actually looked at me like I was weird for wanting to breastfeed! I couldn't believe it.

Mitzi31
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 9:14 AM
1 mom liked this

Yeo mine too. DD doesnt want anyone else but me or dh to hold her for more than a few min and bfing is the cause of that too they say. lol

Quoting Zazayam:

I ignore them, and threaten to squirt them when they question my milk supply. "How do you know she's getting anything?" always annoys me. Mine is also apparently spoilled. Just smile and nod, and keep up the good work!

Mitzi31
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 9:15 AM

luckyyyyy! ;-)

Quoting big_red05:

I live in another country and never have to see them :)

Sprtam
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 9:44 PM
***Update ***
So my ds had an ear infection and has had some diarrhea. No dehydration because he is eating very well. His pedi said it was normal and we're waiting it's out as long as he doesn't have any other symptoms. Of course my mother keeps calling, telling me she's worried and that I should give him gelatin water and pedialite. Why I'm not sure. So I had to work yesterday and he was with her and my dad for 3 hours. Oh my gosh! I tried to explain how to feed him and put him down for a nap but since she's so "experienced" she didn't pay any attention. Of course when my dh showed up my ds was crying and smiled the second he saw daddy. My parents commented that was the first time he smiled the whole time. He didn't eat because my mother didn't know how to feed him the cold bottle she didn't warm. Then she left a printout in the diaper bag about how she thinks his problem is gas. The symptoms she checked off are the same as for a hungry baby. She said he was coughing but he didn't once after he came home and dh said all he could smell was cigarettes and perfume. I guess I need to pay a sitter if my mom is going to pay so little attention to me and make diagnosis after spending 2 hours with him. Maybe she should have been spending time with him instead of on the computer or better yet googled how to bottle feed a breastfed baby!!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN