Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

I don't want to nurse anymore!!

Posted by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 7:48 AM
  • 17 Replies
Ds is 14 months, we made my goal of a year and while I wanted to let him self wean, I don't know how much more I can handle! I'm 22 weeks pregnant which was a surprise as I had an appt to get my tubes tied 2 days after we found out. I don't like to be touched while pregnant and ds HAS to play with my other nipple while he nurses. It's driving me crazy some days but I can tolerate it others. It's not like he is nursing much anymore either. Maybe once or twice a day which I have no complaints with!!! Dh thinks he should be off completely but also thinks it's been 4 days... DsDs does better when I nurse him to sleep, he still needs mommy relax time but idk how much more I can handle. I guess if he keeps nursing like this I can continue but how do I solve the nipple thing?? I can't help but cringe every time!!! Plus he's awake from 3-6am most night, and when I hold his hand so he can't play with my nipple, he won't calm down or nurse.he just cries until I let him get it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 7:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Mar. 23, 2013 at 7:56 AM
1 mom liked this
Don't give in! Nursing manners. Tell him he can nurse AS LONG AS he does not play with your other nipple. Then if he plays with it stop nursing. In 5 or so minutes tell him he can try again but if he plays with your nipple he can't nurse anymore. There will be some crying but if it bothers you that bad (which it does me!) Then it'll be worth it. And if he is still night nursing you can try Dr. Jay Gordon's night weaning technique.
BabyPink07
by Bronze Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 8:14 AM
2 moms liked this
Maybe a nursing toy or necklace.
lifeforchrist
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 12:56 PM
1 mom liked this

i know this feeling! i nursed through pregnancy and it was the HARDEST thing ever. You either bear through it or decide to give up. It doesnt get easier. :( I made it through mine though! :)

TTC2Long
by Gina on Mar. 23, 2013 at 1:04 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree. With this last pregnancy, I was still nursing ds1 and the twiddling, which was mildly annoying before, became unbearable. It also set off my preterm contractions, which I was on bedrest for. I had a talk with him and let him know that from now on numnums were only for drinking, not playing with his hands because his hands gave mommy owies. If he kept using his hands the owies would get worse and I couldn't give him numnums at all! And we didn't want that. I also wore a sports bra and lifted the bottom of it on one side when we nursed. That kept the other side on lockdown. It took some reminding him and redirection - small toys or playing with my amber necklace - but he got it. He's over the habit now, pretty much. He tries when he's sleepy and forgets, but I move his hand away and he remembers and stops.

You can look up nursing manners on kellymom.com, too.

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

Don't give in! Nursing manners. Tell him he can nurse AS LONG AS he does not play with your other nipple. Then if he plays with it stop nursing. In 5 or so minutes tell him he can try again but if he plays with your nipple he can't nurse anymore. There will be some crying but if it bothers you that bad (which it does me!) Then it'll be worth it. And if he is still night nursing you can try Dr. Jay Gordon's night weaning technique.
Nolanzo
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 1:15 PM
Keep the other side covered. You do not have to let him do that. Nursing manners!
07lilmama1108
by Bronze Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 5:09 PM
I always have the other side tucked away, a regular bra, tank top, cover shirt and my robe! He digs and pries to get that nipple! I've put him back in his playpen after telling him no, held his hand.... But he only nurses when he's really tired. Once there's a noise, or I put him down, he's no longer in nursing mode and it's a loosing battle. Other times, he cups my one boob with both hands and is so content!! I've been working on this for 3 months now, and I know our nursing time will end sooner than I'll be ready for, but I don't like cringing while he's nursing.

Quoting Nolanzo:

Keep the other side covered. You do not have to let him do that. Nursing manners!
07lilmama1108
by Bronze Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 5:22 PM
I'll try a small toy or necklace.... I def have been having a lot more contractions!! The biggest thing is my milk has dried up. Idk if it's completely give but he only swallows once in the beginning then goes to sleep. I've tried sloping but he gets extra fussy and clingy. Like he needs the comfort and time out with mommy which is a big reason I don't want to quit.

Quoting TTC2Long:

I agree. With this last pregnancy, I was still nursing ds1 and the twiddling, which was mildly annoying before, became unbearable. It also set off my preterm contractions, which I was on bedrest for. I had a talk with him and let him know that from now on numnums were only for drinking, not playing with his hands because his hands gave mommy owies. If he kept using his hands the owies would get worse and I couldn't give him numnums at all! And we didn't want that. I also wore a sports bra and lifted the bottom of it on one side when we nursed. That kept the other side on lockdown. It took some reminding him and redirection - small toys or playing with my amber necklace - but he got it. He's over the habit now, pretty much. He tries when he's sleepy and forgets, but I move his hand away and he remembers and stops.

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

Nolanzo
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 5:27 PM
1 mom liked this
I wouldn't be able to tolerate that ...nursing is painful for me under the best of circumstances, so playing with my nipples for fun or comfort or whatever would simply be out of the question.

Honestly, and it may sound harsh... at 14 months old he's old enough to understand NO...you might just have to take the reins here and pull rank. If he throws a fit, he'll just have to get over himself :) trust me, it wont be the end of the world for him, and maybe might be a good first lesson in 'You don't get to do what you want to do ALL the time.'

Good luck mama!

Quoting 07lilmama1108:

I always have the other side tucked away, a regular bra, tank top, cover shirt and my robe! He digs and pries to get that nipple! I've put him back in his playpen after telling him no, held his hand.... But he only nurses when he's really tired. Once there's a noise, or I put him down, he's no longer in nursing mode and it's a loosing battle. Other times, he cups my one boob with both hands and is so content!! I've been working on this for 3 months now, and I know our nursing time will end sooner than I'll be ready for, but I don't like cringing while he's nursing.

Quoting Nolanzo:

wonderwomanT08
by Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 5:29 PM
Get him a new soft nursing toy and cover up your other boob
TTC2Long
by Gina on Mar. 23, 2013 at 5:56 PM
My milk changed to colostrum right at 20 weeks. I definitely heard a lot less suck/swallowing going on, but his poop changed back to soft, squishy poop from harder toddler poops, so I know he was getting something.

Toys: my chest has been a race track, I've found all kinds of toy animals in my shirt, but it kept us going! I really felt like during the pregnancy was a terrible time to wean. I didn't want him associating his brother with something as traumatic as that. For him, who loves his nums and mama time, it would have been very traumatic. I'm so glad we worked it out. Tandem nursing is amazing! :)

Quoting 07lilmama1108:

I'll try a small toy or necklace.... I def have been having a lot more contractions!! The biggest thing is my milk has dried up. Idk if it's completely give but he only swallows once in the beginning then goes to sleep. I've tried sloping but he gets extra fussy and clingy. Like he needs the comfort and time out with mommy which is a big reason I don't want to quit.

Quoting TTC2Long:

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)