Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

How do i know if my milk is good for baby?

Posted by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 9:01 AM
  • 17 Replies
He's almost 7 weeks old and had done fairly well breastfeeding, but in the last week he has had lots of explosive gas, has been spitting up quite a bit (looks like watered down skim milk), and he hasn't been latching as well. I gave him a pacifier last night and noticed that one side wasn't being sucked in. He's never had a problem with it before. Thoughts?

I should also add that he gets one bottle of formula a day, usually because my nipples hurt so bed from feeding all day. I have an overactive supply and and can pump 13 oz after one missed feeding.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 9:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 9:06 AM
I would have him checked for lip/tongue ties. Does it hurt you when he nurses? You should also correct the latch if it doesn't feel right; break the suction by putting your little finger in the corner of his mouth, the be sure he opens wide when you bring him to the breast. Check kellymom.com for the article on lip and tongue ties.
FarmGirl2B
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 9:15 AM
It hurts if I don't start with a shield, and he keeps sliding off. The pacifier thing is new.

Quoting MusherMaggie:

I would have him checked for lip/tongue ties. Does it hurt you when he nurses? You should also correct the latch if it doesn't feel right; break the suction by putting your little finger in the corner of his mouth, the be sure he opens wide when you bring him to the breast. Check kellymom.com for the article on lip and tongue ties.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 9:42 AM
1 mom liked this
This really Sounds like a tie situation, and nursing improves greatly if a tie is clipped. A pediatric dentist or ENT is usually who you want for clipping. Check that kellymom article out--it has great pictures, too.
audmom1218
by Silver Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 10:11 AM
Are you human or bovine? How about baby? Human or bovine? If the answers are the same for each question your milk is good!

I would check for a tie, but I noticed my dds latch improved when the oversupply was under control. It's like she was trying to slow down the milk before. Are you block feeding and doing reclined nursing? The fussiness and spitting up make me think its mostly letdown/supply related.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Mar. 23, 2013 at 10:13 AM
Sounds like a tongue tie to me and the kind that needs to be fixed
FarmGirl2B
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 10:23 AM
Lol! I guess I was wondering if my milk was good quality. I know bm usually is, but it just seems so thin.

I haven't done the reclined nursing because it seems more difficult to get him to latch. What is block feeding?

Quoting audmom1218:

Are you human or bovine? How about baby? Human or bovine? If the answers are the same for each question your milk is good!

I would check for a tie, but I noticed my dds latch improved when the oversupply was under control. It's like she was trying to slow down the milk before. Are you block feeding and doing reclined nursing? The fussiness and spitting up make me think its mostly letdown/supply related.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sleepymommy87
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 10:31 AM
2 moms liked this
That bottle of formula is a lot more likely to be causing gas and spit up than your milk. But the nipple pain is probably a bad latch or tie.
lunabella79
by Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 10:53 AM
A bad latch definitely causes gas and spit up. Have him checked as stated above by an ENT or pediatric dentist experienced with tongue/lip ties. I say experienced because I went through hell and back with my now 9 month old in getting his poor latch and tie addressed. After the pediatrician, breastfeeding dr (an lc who was also a pediatrician), and 2 ENTs Lorenzo's tongue tie was finally discovered and clipped. It was night and day after that and no more spitting up or gassy belly!
MamaDee83
by Bronze Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 10:54 AM

Agreed. Breast milk is way more digestable for your little one, so if the formula is all of a sudden introduced, that can really upset your little one's stomach. (I know that sometimes you HAVE to, like I was in the hospital when my DD was about 6 - 7 weeks old and I was on some crazy antibiotics and pain meds for about a week, so I pumped and dumped and she got formula)

Quoting sleepymommy87:

That bottle of formula is a lot more likely to be causing gas and spit up than your milk. But the nipple pain is probably a bad latch or tie.

piwife
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 10:56 AM
2 moms liked this
Block feeding is when you nurse from the same breast for 3-4 feedings. You don't offer a second side. You can hand express a little from the other side.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)