Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

So, Malachi weighs 24 3/4 pounds at 6 months...

Posted by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 12:51 PM
  • 23 Replies

And the pediatrician says he's overweight, and I should be working harder to feed him solids.  He has had some sweet potatoes, peas, avacado, banana, and some other stuff, but he mostly plays with it, and feeds it to the dogs, by way of throwing it on the ground.  I BF him, and it sounds fishy to me...  Is my pedi wrong?  Would solids help him slim up?  I told him chunk munkys run in my family, but he insists he is overweight...  Malachi isn't really ready to "eat" solids, but he is having fun playing with them.  Should I just blow off the pedi advice?  Malachi likes things "his way", and I don't want to make food a stressful time.  We all sit down together for dinner, and we have a great time eating with our mouths open for the li'l guy.  My 12 year-old DD particularly loves it.  Malachi and I eat breakfast together, same thing, and I play fetch with his spoon, good times.  Advice?  

by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 12:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lifeforchrist
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 12:54 PM

do you give bottles? or exclusively feed from the breast?

trilliandent42
by Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 12:55 PM
1 mom liked this

He is a booby boy...

Quoting lifeforchrist:

lifeforchrist
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 1:00 PM
1 mom liked this

if he is EBF then i wouldn't worry about his weight. With bottles it is possible to overfeed a baby. As far as solids go, yes they slow growth. But his diet needs to rely on breastmilk until the age of one. SOlids are for practise and nothing else before one. If you deny breastmilk you are denying brain food that is needed. Ignore the pedi.

Ive never heard of a breastfed baby being over weight and can't imagine it could happen. But perhaps other women here have some ideas. I wouldnt start solids until he can sit on his own and the tongue relfex is gone.

Thats crazy though, my dd is 11months and only 16lbs, so funny how different babies can be!

Quoting trilliandent42:

He is a booby boy...

Quoting lifeforchrist:

ConcernedCousin
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 1:04 PM
My son is 7months this coming Sunday and is 19.6lbs. His pedi says he's overweight too. He's not crawling and.once he.starts, he will slim out. Yours will too, as long as your son is eating at a healthy rate, don't listen to what is said about his weight.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 1:05 PM
Once he starts becoming more mobile, his weight gain will slow down. Doc is 100% wrong to tell you to nurse less and give more solids, that would seriously rob him of alot of nutrients that he needs. If he's not interested in solids, he's not ready and that's perfectly ok. You're doing a great job mama, keep doing what you're doing. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Mar. 23, 2013 at 1:26 PM
My 9 month old is 18 lbs and the pedi said he was underweight. It bugs me so bad that they label these babies as fat, skinny, failure.... all of it bothers me. He decides what and when he wants to eat... our babies are perfect! And op he will slim down and probably stop gaining once he is mobile.... then the pedi will be worried again.

Quoting ConcernedCousin:

My son is 7months this coming Sunday and is 19.6lbs. His pedi says he's overweight too. He's not crawling and.once he.starts, he will slim out. Yours will too, as long as your son is eating at a healthy rate, don't listen to what is said about his weight.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
cabrandy03
by Brandy on Mar. 23, 2013 at 1:56 PM

dd was 21 lbs by 6 months and she was perfectly healthy and our pediatrician never had any concerns about her.  Chunky babies run in our family.  Once she became mobile her weight gain slowed WAY down.  At 2.5 she is a very healthy average sized girl.  As long as he's not bottle fed I wouldn't worry about it, it's pretty much impossible to over nurse a baby.

eema.gray
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 2:27 PM
1 mom liked this

[SIGH]

In three months, your pedi is going to be freaking because he also hasn't gained any weight.

Many nursing babies chunk up rapidly, and than slow or completely stop gaining weight between six months and a year or so of age.  Keep an eye on his physical and verbal development skills - as long as he's making progress there, you have nothing to worry about.  :-)

My son weighed 22 lbs at six months.  We didn't track any weight gain at all until his 18 month appointment.

GoodyBrook
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 2:38 PM

Let his "advice" go in one ear and out the other.

I sometimes wonder why I'm paying good money--and a lot of it--to get opinions rather than facts.  UG!

avfcgal
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 3:05 PM

they say my gaughter is overweight and she is 17months and breastfed, she eats solids, has 2 bf a day, and she runs around all day

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)