Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Timing nursing sessions

Posted by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 9:26 PM
  • 288 Replies
Idk what to do. Autumn doesn't tell me when she's hungry and she doesn't wake up to eat. Why is that? She can go hours on end sleeping and not wake up. I have to wake her to eat. Also how do you time nursing sessions? What i do is 3 or 4 hrs from the end of last nursing session is next time to feed her. Am i doing this wrong? I read people do from the start. Why?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 9:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ceckyl
by Kyla on Mar. 23, 2013 at 9:29 PM
Ever? She NEVER roots to eat?
mama-smurf
by Felisha on Mar. 23, 2013 at 9:31 PM
No. She goes straighr to crying

Quoting ceckyl:

preacherskid
by Silver Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 9:31 PM
1 mom liked this

No timing or waking necessary.  As of now, if she is hungry, she will wake to eat- the only reason to wake a sleeping baby to feed them is poor gain/diapers or high jaundice.  For example, I woke my ydd to offer every two hours when she came home because she was a 36 weeker and if I let her sleep she would sleep as long as six hours without waking to nurse, and she was four pounds when she got home.  Our odd I never bothered, she was 38 weeks at birth and nursed when she wanted- if I woke her she got angry at me ;P  A healthy baby will wake to nurse when hungry :)

ceckyl
by Kyla on Mar. 23, 2013 at 9:33 PM
Ok well crying is a sign if hunger, so he IS telling you when she's hungry, right?

Quoting mama-smurf:

Quoting ceckyl:

mama-smurf
by Felisha on Mar. 23, 2013 at 9:34 PM
Have wake her. She goes very long without eating and get poor diapers. She get 4 diapers I'd i didn't wake her.she gets 7 or 8 diapers and i want her to gain weight. She looks tok skinny and wrinkly

Quoting preacherskid:

No timing or waking necessary.  As of now, if she is hungry, she will wake to eat- the only reason to wake a sleeping baby to feed them is poor gain/diapers or high jaundice.  For example, I woke my ydd to offer every two hours when she came home because she was a 36 weeker and if I let her sleep she would sleep as long as six hours without waking to nurse, and she was four pounds when she got home.  Our odd I never bothered, she was 38 weeks at birth and nursed when she wanted- if I woke her she got angry at me ;P  A healthy baby will wake to nurse when hungry :)

mama-smurf
by Felisha on Mar. 23, 2013 at 9:36 PM
Not all the time. She cries sometimes to be rocked to sleep or when she's not hungry.

Quoting ceckyl:

Ok well crying is a sign if hunger, so he IS telling you when she's hungry, right?

Quoting mama-smurf:

Quoting ceckyl:

mama-smurf
by Felisha on Mar. 23, 2013 at 9:37 PM
She looks too skinny. No fat and all skin and bones
ceckyl
by Kyla on Mar. 23, 2013 at 9:37 PM
1 mom liked this
If you feel you have to wake her, and sea not getting enough diapers, I'd offer every 2 hours instead of 4.

Quoting mama-smurf:

Not all the time. She cries sometimes to be rocked to sleep or when she's not hungry.

Quoting ceckyl:

Quoting mama-smurf:

Quoting ceckyl:

mama-smurf
by Felisha on Mar. 23, 2013 at 9:38 PM
2 hrs from start of last feeding or end

Quoting ceckyl:

If you feel you have to wake her, and sea not getting enough diapers, I'd offer every 2 hours instead of 4.

Quoting mama-smurf:

Quoting ceckyl:

Quoting mama-smurf:

Quoting ceckyl:

preacherskid
by Silver Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 9:42 PM

Is the four diapers in twenty four hours?  Does she nurse often at night, do you cosleep/bedshare?  The looks, well, my ydd was four pounds and nineteen inches when she came home- now she is just over two and about twenty three pounds.  Both my girls are skinny/thin- it runs in the family, I am underweight as is their father.  The wrinkly will go away with time :)

Quoting mama-smurf:

Have wake her. She goes very long without eating and get poor diapers. She get 4 diapers I'd i didn't wake her.she gets 7 or 8 diapers and i want her to gain weight. She looks tok skinny and wrinkly

Quoting preacherskid:

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)