Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms
Idk what to do. Autumn doesn't tell me when she's hungry and she doesn't wake up to eat. Why is that? She can go hours on end sleeping and not wake up. I have to wake her to eat. Also how do you time nursing sessions? What i do is 3 or 4 hrs from the end of last nursing session is next time to feed her. Am i doing this wrong? I read people do from the start. Why?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 9:26 PM
Replies (281-288):
mama-smurf
by Felisha on Mar. 27, 2013 at 7:07 AM
I got her to nurse. She had bad gas bubble. As soon as 3 or 4 bubbles came out she latched on no problem. This gas is a pain! She has it bad and also its like she swallows her drool or something because outnof nowhere when im not feeding her she takes these big gulps

Quoting MonicaV1982:This, otherwise money or not you need to find a way to get something into her. Eats on Feets and Human Milk for Human Babies have FB pages for your area. The milk is free.
Quoting maggiemom2000:If you don't have a pump then hand express into a cup and cup feed or spoon feed your milk.Quoting mama-smurf:I have no money for any of that. Also I forgot to mention. She ate but only for 5 minutes and popped off. I tried getting her back on but she didnt want it. She also been staying awake because everytime I try to burp her or put her down she wakes up.

Quoting MonicaV1982:At this point she's not eating because she's sleeping to conserve energy. You need to pump your milk or get formula and use a syringe to feed it until you can put together an sns. I recommend asking for donor milk on Eats on Feets or Human Milk for Human babies.
Quoting mama-smurf:Its been 3 1/2 hrs and she still won't eat. Its pissing me off. I dont want her to starve.

Quoting maggiemom2000:That is great that you are trying to get her to nurse more frequently, but DON"T try to hold her head to your breast if she is telling you no! This wont get her to nurse (I think you already figured that part out!) but it can quickly lead to a nursing strike. You want her time at the breast to be positive.Put her on your bare chest at least every 2 hours and give her the changce to latch on and nurse. If she doesn't latch on, then try agian in another hour.Quoting mama-smurf:Definitely will.

Right now Autumns fighting eating yet again. Instead of 2 hours she goes 3 hours. If I try holding her head on it she will squeal and push away. I expressed milk andnshe doesn't want it.nshes sucking her fingers like crazy and trying to fall asleep. Idk what's wrong

mama-smurf
by Felisha on Mar. 27, 2013 at 7:16 AM
I have a pump, so went out and bought one with money he was saving for video game.I told him and he didn't fight about it and bought one. Hed been saving for long time for game about daryl and merle Dixon.

Quoting MonicaV1982:

This, otherwise money or not you need to find a way to get something into her. Eats on Feets and Human Milk for Human Babies have FB pages for your area. The milk is free.

Quoting maggiemom2000:

If you don't have a pump then hand express into a cup and cup feed or spoon feed your milk.

Quoting mama-smurf:

I have no money for any of that. Also I forgot to mention. She ate but only for 5 minutes and popped off. I tried getting her back on but she didnt want it. She also been staying awake because everytime I try to burp her or put her down she wakes up.

Quoting MonicaV1982:

At this point she's not eating because she's sleeping to conserve energy. You need to pump your milk or get formula and use a syringe to feed it until you can put together an sns. I recommend asking for donor milk on Eats on Feets or Human Milk for Human babies.

Quoting mama-smurf:

Its been 3 1/2 hrs and she still won't eat. Its pissing me off. I dont want her to starve.

Quoting maggiemom2000:

That is great that you are trying to get her to nurse more frequently, but DON"T try to hold her head to your breast if she is telling you no! This wont get her to nurse (I think you already figured that part out!) but it can quickly lead to a nursing strike. You want her time at the breast to be positive.

Put her on your bare chest at least every 2 hours and give her the changce to latch on and nurse. If she doesn't latch on, then try agian in another hour.

Quoting mama-smurf:

Definitely will.

Right now Autumns fighting eating yet again. Instead of 2 hours she goes 3 hours. If I try holding her head on it she will squeal and push away. I expressed milk andnshe doesn't want it.nshes sucking her fingers like crazy and trying to fall asleep. Idk what's wrong

MonicaV1982
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 7:21 AM

that's good!

Quoting mama-smurf:

I got her to nurse. She had bad gas bubble. As soon as 3 or 4 bubbles came out she latched on no problem. This gas is a pain! She has it bad and also its like she swallows her drool or something because outnof nowhere when im not feeding her she takes these big gulps

Quoting MonicaV1982:This, otherwise money or not you need to find a way to get something into her. Eats on Feets and Human Milk for Human Babies have FB pages for your area. The milk is free.
Quoting maggiemom2000:If you don't have a pump then hand express into a cup and cup feed or spoon feed your milk.Quoting mama-smurf:I have no money for any of that. Also I forgot to mention. She ate but only for 5 minutes and popped off. I tried getting her back on but she didnt want it. She also been staying awake because everytime I try to burp her or put her down she wakes up.

Quoting MonicaV1982:At this point she's not eating because she's sleeping to conserve energy. You need to pump your milk or get formula and use a syringe to feed it until you can put together an sns. I recommend asking for donor milk on Eats on Feets or Human Milk for Human babies.
Quoting mama-smurf:Its been 3 1/2 hrs and she still won't eat. Its pissing me off. I dont want her to starve.

Quoting maggiemom2000:That is great that you are trying to get her to nurse more frequently, but DON"T try to hold her head to your breast if she is telling you no! This wont get her to nurse (I think you already figured that part out!) but it can quickly lead to a nursing strike. You want her time at the breast to be positive.Put her on your bare chest at least every 2 hours and give her the changce to latch on and nurse. If she doesn't latch on, then try agian in another hour.Quoting mama-smurf:Definitely will.

MonicaV1982
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 7:23 AM

That's great! start with as little as possible (reaching minimum diaper count) and she should start waking more and demanding to be fed. In your situation keep to the 2 hour schedule, but if she wakes and so much as looks at her hands or smack her lips put her to breast. Even a couple minutes here and there add up. :)

Quoting mama-smurf:

I have a pump, so went out and bought one with money he was saving for video game.I told him and he didn't fight about it and bought one. Hed been saving for long time for game about daryl and merle Dixon.

Quoting MonicaV1982:

This, otherwise money or not you need to find a way to get something into her. Eats on Feets and Human Milk for Human Babies have FB pages for your area. The milk is free.

Quoting maggiemom2000:

If you don't have a pump then hand express into a cup and cup feed or spoon feed your milk.

Quoting mama-smurf:

I have no money for any of that. Also I forgot to mention. She ate but only for 5 minutes and popped off. I tried getting her back on but she didnt want it. She also been staying awake because everytime I try to burp her or put her down she wakes up.

Quoting MonicaV1982:

At this point she's not eating because she's sleeping to conserve energy. You need to pump your milk or get formula and use a syringe to feed it until you can put together an sns. I recommend asking for donor milk on Eats on Feets or Human Milk for Human babies.

Quoting mama-smurf:

Its been 3 1/2 hrs and she still won't eat. Its pissing me off. I dont want her to starve.

Quoting maggiemom2000:

That is great that you are trying to get her to nurse more frequently, but DON"T try to hold her head to your breast if she is telling you no! This wont get her to nurse (I think you already figured that part out!) but it can quickly lead to a nursing strike. You want her time at the breast to be positive.

Put her on your bare chest at least every 2 hours and give her the changce to latch on and nurse. If she doesn't latch on, then try agian in another hour.

Quoting mama-smurf:

Definitely will.

mama-smurf
by Felisha on Mar. 27, 2013 at 7:46 AM
1 mom liked this
Yup I been doing that. I saw her clicking her tongue and fed her even if it hasn't been 2 hours. She doesn't unlatch when she's done.

Quoting MonicaV1982:

That's great! start with as little as possible (reaching minimum diaper count) and she should start waking more and demanding to be fed. In your situation keep to the 2 hour schedule, but if she wakes and so much as looks at her hands or smack her lips put her to breast. Even a couple minutes here and there add up. :)

Quoting mama-smurf:

Quoting MonicaV1982:

Quoting maggiemom2000:

Quoting mama-smurf:

Quoting MonicaV1982:

Quoting mama-smurf:

Quoting maggiemom2000:

Quoting mama-smurf:

Definitely will.

prplpolkadts
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 9:48 AM

Not sure how old your child is but, I don't wake my son to eat, he is 5.3 weeks old and will wake when he is ready.  I time feedings from the start of last one, but they vary a lot.  Sometimes he wants to nurse every 2 hours like clockwork, other times he will go 3-4 hours between.

MonicaV1982
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 2:26 PM

This is a different situation. Baby needs to be woken in this case.

Quoting prplpolkadts:

Not sure how old your child is but, I don't wake my son to eat, he is 5.3 weeks old and will wake when he is ready.  I time feedings from the start of last one, but they vary a lot.  Sometimes he wants to nurse every 2 hours like clockwork, other times he will go 3-4 hours between.

audmom1218
by Silver Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 4:15 PM
Bumping to look at your update.

Quoting mama-smurf:

I can't do 2 hrs from start because she will be on my breast too much. But i can do from finish.

Birth 7 lbs 2 oz.

Discharge weight 6 lbs 6 Oz

1 week 7 lbs even

5 weeks 7 lbs 7 oz

5 weeks 2 days 7 lbs 10 oz

Quoting maggiemom2000:

Can you post her full weight history? I know you've posted it in the past but it would help to see it again with any new weights if there are any.

Sometimes a baby who is underfed will not ask to feed. If this is the case, once she starts getting enough, she "should" start to ask more.

Quoting mama-smurf:

If she was underfed you would think she would want to nurse more. Why wont she tell me when she's hungry? Should i supplement or what do i do? Will she always be like this. I hope i can gwt her to eat every 2 hrs. I tried every 3 hrs from end and she didn't want to eat so i went every 4 hrs and she will eat. If she doesn't want to eat idk what to do.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)