Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

needing some encouragement

Posted by   + Show Post
I'm 7 months pregnant with an 18 month old DD. I bf DD for a month before switching to formula. It was very painful and I didn't think she was getting enough to eat. This time around, I want to make sure I'm as educated about bf as possible so I don't become discouraged again.

I just wonder how im going to do it now that I have a toddler at my heels when I couldn't do it the first time around without another child needing my attention. Also, do I have to solely bf? Does it make it more difficult if I pump as well? If I do pump, how often (or how little) should she be drinking from a bottle?

I feel overwhelmed. It seems so easy for other moms. But this is our last baby and I really want to experience breast feeding ..not to mention all the known benefits of bf.

Please share your tips, advice, and encouragement with me!!! :-)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 2:58 AM
Replies (21-25):
tbursac777
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 7:50 AM

i'd suggest a moby.. but practice alot bc it takes time to get use to.. i never got the hang of bf-ing in it though.

honestly? I'd invest in some movies and or games for LO to do while you nurse the baby. It's going to seem like that's all ou ever do for the first few months.

it hurts like all hell for the first week or so.. it hurt me for exactly a week.. then let up. I remember closing my eyes as hard as i could, and holding my breath when he would latch on, and waitijg for the pain to pass.

once you get past that, it's all good :)

good luck!!

taitrentwayne
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 9:28 AM
I Have A 4 Year Old SO BabyWearing WOrks Great For Me, So Much So That Dd Always Want To Nurse When In Her Wrap!
As For Pumping, I've Found That I'm Able To Pump More When Nursing Dd On The Other Breast.
Breastfeeding Is A Lifestyle, But Is Worth Every "Pause" You Make To Your Pre-Bf Life. :)
Good Luck, With support From Groups Like This you CAN Be Successful!
dallas4nu
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 4:13 PM
That's a great idea thank you! I'm a SAHM so she's used to having my full attention - a special box of toys to play with while I nurse is a really good idea :-)

Quoting fortressmom:

We LOVE our Moby and mei tai carriers. Especially the moby still. He's out like a light within minutes of getting in there. He's our 4th so he's worn a lot:)  You'll know baby has a tongue tie if they can't stick their tongue out past their lip. I think kellymom.com has a great thread about tongue/lip ties and what to look for. For nursing times, keep a basket of toys and books that only comes out when you are feeding baby. Let your older child play next to you or read to him during those times. That really helped when my 2nd DD was born. Our first two are only 25 months apart, so she couldn't really be turned loose on her own when I was nursing baby.

SarineLewis
by Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 5:46 PM
I'm in a similar situation. Ds turned 1 yr on Jan 15. Dd was born Feb 26. I've felt so overwhelmed! I couldn't bf ds and so it's made it feel awkward with dd. luckily he's pretty independent. He's getting molars in though. He's clingy and fighting sleep.
All I can suggest is to take it one day at a time. And if you get ppd see a dr and talk about your feelings with friends too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
1sttimemama0531
by Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 9:12 PM
I am a 1st time mom to a 5 month old daughter. When I first started bfing, it was excruciatingly painful. I had cracked nipples and every time my dd latched on, I thought I was going to die! It hurt so badly, I always had to keep something nearby to squeeze when she was abt to latch. I used coconut oil on my nipples and just kept at it. I'm so glad I did because the pain went away after a few weeks and now I LOVE breastfeeding! I work outside of my home, so I pump during the day. I hate pumping though, and would much rather feed my baby :(. I've had to give my dd expressed milk in a bottle a few times and its so much work - making the bottle, warming it up, cleaning, sterilizing...it's ridiculous! Bfing is SO simple. I am grateful that I'm able to do it and I'm really happy that I stuck with it. My advice is to give it 3 months. If its still terrible, then supplement w formula.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)