Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Cloth Diapering Question

Posted by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:14 AM
  • 12 Replies

I'm really interested in starting this, but I have a few questions. I really like the one size and pocket diapers, Do they both need inserts? and do you have to wash them after each use or just change the insert? What kind of inserts work best? Does the diaper leak out every time baby poops/pees or are they basically like reusable disposables which can last more then one pee before "full"? What all would I need to get started?

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Quoting LoveMyTiny:

I'm really interested in starting this, but I have a few questions. I really like the one size and pocket diapers, Do they both need inserts?One size diapers are often pocket diapers...pocket diapers need inserts but usually ome with themand do you have to wash them after each use or just change the insert?you wash the whole diaper What kind of inserts work best? I prefer bamboo but the microfiber and hemp are nice too, most come with microfiberDoes the diaper leak out every time baby poops/pees or are they basically like reusable disposables which can last more then one pee before "full"?rarely do we get leaks honestly.  I do find we change a bit more often than dispoablesWhat all would I need to get started?depending on babies age you need about 10-12 diapers a day..I wash every other day so needed 24 diapers(mine came with 2 inserts each I used 1 for daytime and 2 for night)

MaryJarrett
by Mary on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:31 AM
1 mom liked this
One size diapers is just a size. You can get one size pockets, all in ones, fitted, all in twos, you the point. One size doesn't typically fit until the child is around 10-12lbs but then they fit well until about 30-35lbs. My DD never needed bigger than OS.

With pockets, you would change the entire diaper each time. You put the insert into the middle and the inner still gets dirty. The reason pockets are likeable is you remove the insert for washing/drying. It makes wash time quicker than it would with all in ones, but pockets are like all in ones in the way that would change the whole thing every time.

As for inserts, I would avoid microfiber. It cannot touch the child's skin, it gets stained and stinky easier, and it doesn't absorb as well as other fibers. I like bamboo. Flannel is good too. Hemp is another awesome one. Terries can be great.

I'm in the boat of moms who change every time baby messes a diaper, poop or pee, as soon as i notice it. I don't want to sit in my urine/feces, so i figure baby doesnt either. That said, I have never had a leak or blow out in cloth.

When to start, that's up to you. Anytime you want. :)
Misread: about 12 diapers per day multiplied by how many days you want to have between washes. I washed every 5 days so I have 60 diapers. Most people like 36 though.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
luckymomof6
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:34 AM
1 mom liked this
Looks like the above post covered it all. I just wanted to add that if you wanted a more economical way to cloth diaper than you could try prefolds and covers. Prefolds and covers would mean that you can use the cover multiple times and just change the prefold.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MaryJarrett
by Mary on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:36 AM
Oh! And I use cloth wipes too. I just bought those 96ยข 4 packs of baby wash cloths, and got them wet with plain water to use. I had about 75 of those, but I would grab at least 3 per diaper just to have an overestimate.
audmom1218
by Silver Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 11:56 AM
We use best bottoms so 3 liners to one cover wash. We have 15 liners and 5 covers. Just about perfect for 2 days worth. So if they poop you change out the cover otherwise I only change cover once every 3 wets. No leaks since switching.
gumeshoe
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 12:46 PM

I use flip covers (from cottonbabies.com) and gerber prefold inserts (the $17 for 10 pk at target). Not the best prefold but it works fine for my ds. He is 5 months old and has used them for a few months now. Fold it in thirds and fold down the top a little and lay it in the cover. Just like a disposable no leaks if it is on straight and square. I would have rathered get prefolds from osocosy or somewhere. But needed them immediately. I did get the 2 flip box with the 8 stay dry covers. They work, but they are a table runner you fold and fold (altho they are less bulky by half a better prefold would be less bulky than the gerbers I believe). I actually rather the gerber prefolds. I have less stains on the gerbers. But either will come clean in the sun on the rare times they don't completely come clean.

I always change him immediately. It would probably go for another pee, but he doesn't accept being dirty.

Really it is all just preference. If I had ds in a daycare they would only allow pocket diapers that are prestuffed, they toss in a wet bag and you take home every night.

And you don't have to go all or nothing. We use disposables when we go out. We don't go out a lot so it would be from 2 to 6 diapers a week.

edit: I have 5 covers, 20 gerber prefolds, 8 stay dry flip inserts. I wash every other day or alittle more often. There will be 2 to 3 covers to wash and about 12 to 18 inserts to wash. DS wets often, so some days are 9 or 10 diaper days. If I diaper while out I use the flips because they are thinner.

mamalusbear
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 4:27 PM

You could buy a used lot of Bum Genius AIO to test out how well it would work.  I've used the larger inserts for my son since he was about three months old.  At night when he wets heavier, I double up on hemp inserts.  

BabyPink07
by Bronze Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 6:08 PM
My only suggestion is buy a set of newborn diapers. We used fuzzibunz extra small. When she grew out of those she was ready for one size.
tarakay0417
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 8:18 PM
We make our own they work great
tarakay0417
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 8:18 PM
We make our own they work great
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN