Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

help getting rid of a bad clog and mastitis!

Posted by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 1:37 PM
  • 11 Replies

To start off--my son is 11 months old and we have more than enough frozen milk to last through his 1st birthday at the very least.

I have an over producing breast that has gotten bad clogs several times (I used to have to pump 5x a day for work, but in the past as soon as I got home and fed my son it would get rid of the clog.) This time the clog has lasted 48 hours and counting and has turned into mastitis. I'm on antibiotics and feeling better then I was 2 days ago, but my breast is still all red and half of it is clogged. I've tried everything I can think of...I've had heat packs on it all day, heating pads, massaged it while he eats, massage it during shower, pumping. None of it will help and my breast is just getting more and more solid and sore. My son is getting frustrated trying to eat off that breast and very acrobatic, because he's not getting much out of it, and that hurts like hell. It makes me want to self amputate my boob cause it'd probably hurt less.

I'm at the point where I just want to dry up that side, but I don't know how for sure. I've heard cabbage leaves can help someone dry up, but I don't know if that will get rid of the clog. I still want my son to be able to nurse off the other breast for comfort, and he can drink the frozen breastmilk for primary nourishment. 

I start a new job in a couple days that is very physical, and I will be suffering majorly if my breast is still clogged and sore. I can't even wear a bra right now it hurts so bad. And it kills me to bend over, which I will be required to do repeatedly during my shifts. Any advice?

by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 1:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GoodyBrook
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 1:41 PM

Have you tried "dangle" nursing, where you get on all fours and have your LO nurse from below?  What about nursing in other positions than what you normally do?  Your milk needs to get out and start moving, so "alternative" positions can get things moving better than staying in the same tried-and-true positions that you and your DS normally do...

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 24, 2013 at 1:43 PM

What goodybrook suggested. And there's info on kellymom.com on using lecithin to prevent clogs.

mindysue852
by Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 1:46 PM

Yes, we tried dangle nursing last night and I've tried football hold, laying him across my lap, and letting him straddle my leg and eat that way. I've fed him in every position I could imagine the last few days! I think the pumping made it worse, cause it's so much more solid. When he eats one side of that breast softens and the other side just stays rock solid, no matter what position he is in. He just gets more acrobatic and frustrated in certain positions and then stops nursing before he normally would. Thanks for the response though!

Quoting GoodyBrook:

Have you tried "dangle" nursing, where you get on all fours and have your LO nurse from below?  What about nursing in other positions than what you normally do?  Your milk needs to get out and start moving, so "alternative" positions can get things moving better than staying in the same tried-and-true positions that you and your DS normally do...

mindysue852
by Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 1:47 PM

I have tried what she suggested without success. I read about lecithin--I read it prevents clogs but do you know if it helps get rid of existing clogs?

Quoting gdiamante:

What goodybrook suggested. And there's info on kellymom.com on using lecithin to prevent clogs.

GoodyBrook
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 1:51 PM

Quoting gdiamante:

YES!

I had great success with Lecitin supplements with my first son...  They're an "emulsifier," so they might make your milk flow a bit easier...  I took 3 pills about 4 times a day for the first week and then gradually tapered down once I felt my issues were getting under control.

gumeshoe
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 2:31 PM

I had to get inventive last time I had a clog. I laid on my right side, turned the baby upside down so I was looking at his feet and he nursed from the left boob. My husband just raised an eyebrow and said no more. 

I just gave it a few minutes, because he was mad at the lack of output and it hurt like heck, then off to the happy right boob. Repeat next session. Did also get some lecitin took that for a few weeks.

Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Mar. 24, 2013 at 4:05 PM
This! I also had great success using this...I had massive oversupply until DS was 14 months and just around a year, I had the worst clog ever in my left breast that I seriously considered weaning, the lecithin was my last resort...I'm so glad it worked, now maybe I will be able to make it to my min. goal of 2 years :-) I really think you should give it a try. GL mama!

Quoting GoodyBrook:

Quoting gdiamante:

YES!

I had great success with Lecitin supplements with my first son...  They're an "emulsifier," so they might make your milk flow a bit easier...  I took 3 pills about 4 times a day for the first week and then gradually tapered down once I felt my issues were getting under control.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JaxMomma78
by Bronze Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:22 PM
What finally worked for me was taking ibuprofen to reduce the swelling, then I got in a hot shower soaped up and used a wide tooth comb and massaged toward the nipple.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:32 PM

I wouldn't expect lecithin to help with existing clogs but it certainly can't hurt!

mindysue852
by Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 11:20 AM
I appreciate the responses, for those who have used lecithin how long did it take to get rid of the clog? I took it 3x yesterday and once so far today and clog is still there, but wondering from experience how long it takes to work and whether I should take it more frequently.
Quoting Cruz-s-mommy:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)