Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Instantly tired when breastfeeding.

Posted by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 9:38 PM
  • 5 Replies

I experienced it with both my sons when they were newborns:  I'd get instantly tired when they were nursing. 

Does anyone know the chemical (hormonal?) reaction that causes this to happen?  (Just curious, as it stopped when both sons were about 2 weeks old).

by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 9:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Crob4
by Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 9:44 PM
My LC told me it was the hormone that signals milk production and it's in excess when your milk is first coming in. I'm not sure what the hormone is called, though.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 9:50 PM
Yes--it's the initial prolactin rush, which keeps us from eating our demanding little newborns and from doing too much ourselves, and it does settle down as the milk supply gets established.
Sama2Mamma
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 9:56 PM
Eating our newborn lol that made me laugh out loud.
Thanks i couldnt remember the name either. Trying to brush up on all my newborn stage breastfeeding info for my sister. Shes going to try to ebf her daughter when she is born. She had trouble bfing my newphew and eventually quit :(

Quoting MusherMaggie:

Yes--it's the initial prolactin rush, which keeps us from eating our demanding little newborns and from doing too much ourselves, and it does settle down as the milk supply gets established.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Zazayam
by Nicki on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:07 PM

Well that's neat. I thought I was making it up and just super relaxed when I nursed a new baby, lol.

PolishMamma2
by Marta on Mar. 24, 2013 at 11:37 PM

Yes its Hormonal, Your body is supposed to be in a sedated state the first few weeks PP for healing and focusing on your baby...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)