Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Sabotage?

Posted by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:22 PM
  • 27 Replies
2 moms liked this

So DH pointed this out.

The "feeding kit" I got from the hospital when I had DD had formula samples, coupons etc but also a handout on how "breast is best {but if you can't...}". There was also a nursing cover in there.  The cover says right on the package "so you can nurse in public comfortably without exposing your breasts".  The cover is BRIGHT yellow - like neon.  

Do you think it's subtle sabotage? Like implanting that you NEED to cover and then if you use that cover everyone will obviously stare at the bright yellow so you'll get uncomfortable and start down the slippery slope of bottle (formula bottle) feeding with their free samples.

DH supports me NIP with no cover.  He's amazed that I can two shirt or nurse in a ring sling and even he doesn't notice : )

CafeMom Tickers
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JaxMomma78
by Bronze Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:24 PM
There is nothing subtle about it. It is def sabotage!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Sama2Mamma
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:29 PM
I dont think it is but i dont think too much about it.

I would have loved to get a free nursing cover even if it was yellow! I used it around the house when he was first born when we had company. Just until i got the hang of it. Now i nip without a cover :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:33 PM
1 mom liked this
"without exposing your breasts." That definitely sounds like they're saying that you MUST cover! :-(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:34 PM
3 moms liked this

Oh, yes. Baby friendly hospitals don't allow those kits at all. Formula companies have NO interest in helping you succeed at breastfeeding. 

I've often said using a cover is like hanging a neon sign... sounds like that one IS a neon sign!

maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:43 PM
2 moms liked this

Formula companies don't put together those bags of freebies because they are nice and want to give you a gift. Their only purpose is to sell more formula, and sadly the gimmick works. If giving away all of those breastfeeding "support" bags did not lead to those moms buying their formula, they would not be giving out those bags.

marihla
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:45 PM
5 moms liked this

I would be more embarrassed to put a bottle in my baby's mouth.

anxiousschk
by Bronze Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:48 PM

I think people think too much about it. 

I was given all the sample kids and freebies in the mail.  

Didn't affect me one way or the other.  My hospital also had a LC that came around to check on me frequently and gave me a bf kit as well.  

SadieJames
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:51 PM

What was in the bfing kit?  Our LC stuck her head in once... Thankfully I have this group. Our hospital was natural birth friendly but not bfing friendly - it was weird.

Quoting anxiousschk:

Didn't affect me one way or the other.  My hospital also had a LC that came around to check on me frequently and gave me a bf kit as well.  

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:55 PM
That IS weird! :-\

Quoting SadieJames:

What was in the bfing kit?  Our LC stuck her head in once... Thankfully I have this group. Our hospital was natural birth friendly but not bfing friendly - it was weird.

Quoting anxiousschk:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SadieJames
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 11:01 PM

I was never once offered pain meds, pitocin etc - and I was induced by PROM (water breaking) at 36 weeks for severe pre e.  literally everyone was "you can do it!" But as soon as dd was born they kept trying to give her a bottle.  There was a lot of "she needs formula until your milk comes in".  I pumped colostrum because I had a quick ICU trip that she couldn't come to and they were like "look how little that is - she's starving!"  Thankfully I had been lurking here for months and knew better : ) she's gone from 5 lb 15.4 oz to about 12 lbs at 11 weeks! I think not having formula at three hours old didnt hurt her lol.

Quoting aehanrahan:

That IS weird! :-\

Quoting SadieJames:

Quoting anxiousschk:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN