Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

I should have lied about nursing.

Posted by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 11:04 AM
  • 22 Replies

Then maybe I could have got some antibiotics! I have been sick for over a week and now I have a full-blown sinus infection. I went to our new clinic we have a work and she said because I don't have a fever it's not an infection and if is was I couldn't take anything because I am still nursing my almost 2 year old (2 on 4/30). Then I got asked how often I nursed, when I planned to stop and she was telling me if was just a comfort thing for her AND myself! Why do I need the 3rd degree on MY nursing decisions?  I feel like an alien when I tell people I am still nursing, it just drives me insane. 

Ladies I know I can take things, what would you recommend?

CafeMom Tickers
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 11:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cadditalbrat
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 11:08 AM
Amoxicillian
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Mar. 25, 2013 at 11:09 AM
A netty pot always helps me with a sinus infection..... feel better momma!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
preacherskid
by Silver Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 11:10 AM

Really with a two year old any antibiotic should be fine.  Take probiotics when you take antibiotics and stay hydrated is the only thing to keep in mind.  This is a clinic offered by your employer?  Was this a nurse practitioner or a doctor?  Do you have a regular or family doctor you can see?

Tylersmom119
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 11:16 AM
I try not to take antibiotics when I get a sinus infection but sometimes it can't be helped any other way. And you can take antibiotics while nursing (if your infection is bacterial). If you want to try using OTC treatments, I recently had a terrible sinus infection and this is what helped: I used steam to help loosen mucous then used the neti pot and after that I put BM drops in my nose. I also took Allegra once a day. And I found mucinex sinus max- took that twice a day and used the nighttime formula (has Benadryl) at night. It really helped. Good luck!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Careeka22
by Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 11:19 AM

Quoting preacherskid:

Really with a two year old any antibiotic should be fine.  Take probiotics when you take antibiotics and stay hydrated is the only thing to keep in mind.  This is a clinic offered by your employer?  Was this a nurse practitioner or a doctor?  Do you have a regular or family doctor you can see?

Yes it is a new clinic and just a nurse practitioner. I don't have a regular Dr. but I need to find a pro-breastfeeding one. I almost never get sick so I usually just go to patient 1st. I think I will just try a nasal spray and some tylenol. Thanks

preacherskid
by Silver Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Staying hydrated is usually my first line of defense when I get a sinus infection- no insurance here so I try to avoid antibiotics, doctors, etc. Staying hydrated helps loosen all the mucus secretions so you can blow the infection out (gross but it works), add the saline spray and an otc allergy med and I am usually okay within five to seven days.  I rarely run a fever with my sinus infections too.

Quoting Careeka22:

Quoting preacherskid:

Yes it is a new clinic and just a nurse practitioner. I don't have a regular Dr. but I need to find a pro-breastfeeding one. I almost never get sick so I usually just go to patient 1st. I think I will just try a nasal spray and some tylenol. Thanks

CafeMom Tickers
anxiousschk
by Bronze Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 11:33 AM

I'd go back and specifically ask for an antibiotic.  I don't get fevers with a sinus infection -- ever.  

If I don't get antibiotics, it goes into something much worse. 

It's perfectly fine to be very firm when you go to the doctor.  (As in, ask her why you need the 3rd degree on your nursing)

anxiousschk
by Bronze Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 11:34 AM

I wish that worked for me :/

Quoting preacherskid:

Staying hydrated is usually my first line of defense when I get a sinus infection- no insurance here so I try to avoid antibiotics, doctors, etc. Staying hydrated helps loosen all the mucus secretions so you can blow the infection out (gross but it works), add the saline spray and an otc allergy med and I am usually okay within five to seven days.  I rarely run a fever with my sinus infections too.

Quoting Careeka22:

Quoting preacherskid:

Careeka22
by Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 11:40 AM

Quoting anxiousschk:

I'd go back and specifically ask for an antibiotic.  I don't get fevers with a sinus infection -- ever.  

It's perfectly fine to be very firm when you go to the doctor.  (As in, ask her why you need the 3rd degree on your nursing)

I am usually the same way! (the reason I went) I used to get them a lot when I was younger but this is my 1st in over 2 years and normally mine turns into something worse as well. I am going to try the OTC recomendations but will go back if it gets worse. I might just have to bring proof next time!

anxiousschk
by Bronze Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 11:45 AM

We tend to wind up at Patient First b/c we generally get sick on the weekends or can't get in soon enough with our GP.  

I've gotten to where I'm rather forceful.  If they don't listen the first time (when I'm polite and patient) then they get an uglier version of me.  

DD1 is the same way with the infections.  

The OTC stuff that works for me is mucinex with advil.  If I'm not bfing, Aleve D is awesome.  

Saline spray helps me prevent them, but if I get a sinus infection -- it doesn't touch anything.  

Try Benadryl at night (just one).  That will help dry you up.  You just need to make sure to be drinking tons with it.  

Quoting Careeka22:

Quoting anxiousschk:

I am usually the same way! (the reason I went) I used to get them a lot when I was younger but this is my 1st in over 2 years and normally mine turns into something worse as well. I am going to try the OTC recomendations but will go back if it gets worse. I might just have to bring proof next time!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)