Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Hospital grade pump

Posted by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 7:26 PM
  • 25 Replies
Would there be any reason to not buy a hospital grade pump if insurance covers 100%? Is there any advantage to buying a retail one if also covered by insurance?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 7:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Mar. 25, 2013 at 8:13 PM
i would not buy a hospital grade pump because they are so bulky. i would rather have something more portable. but if i were exclusively pumping and insurance covered it i would rather have the hospital grade pump.
stepconfused182
by Kelley on Mar. 25, 2013 at 8:18 PM
That's what I thought. The ones I have seen have a huge motor. But I hear they are very quiet and very efficient. Is this correct?

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

i would not buy a hospital grade pump because they are so bulky. i would rather have something more portable. but if i were exclusively pumping and insurance covered it i would rather have the hospital grade pump.
SadieJames
by Sarah on Mar. 25, 2013 at 8:59 PM

I used a hospital grade medela after I had dd while still in the hospital and it was very quiet but I'm not sure about function since I was pumping colostrum (which hurts btw - like pumping out peanut butter, ow.). I use a Lansinoh Affinity now and it's so flipping loud... I HATE that but other than the fact it's obnoxious it's a great pump that does its job.

So basically, in my experience, they functioned generally the same but I don't have a good comparison.  The volume is a huge difference though.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Mar. 25, 2013 at 9:43 PM
I've never seen a hospital grade pump, so I don't know about the differences.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kmorales7690
by Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 9:45 PM
I used the Medea pump in style advance. I loved it
IansMommy2012
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 9:48 PM
I got an Adela (?) hospital grade pump and love it. It came with an electric double and hand pump and I love it :) (tho currently my SIL has my pump) but its not bulky (at least I dot think it is) :) but that's just me :) if your looking for something not as big and the insurance still pays for it, then find something that looks good and is your perfect size!
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Mar. 26, 2013 at 6:28 AM
They are very quiet. I did not find it more efficient in the 3 weeks I used it but long term it could be.

Quoting stepconfused182:

That's what I thought. The ones I have seen have a huge motor. But I hear they are very quiet and very efficient. Is this correct?

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

shortyali
by Alicia on Mar. 26, 2013 at 7:09 AM
I ever only used a hospital grade one a handful of times and I didn't notice a difference in speed. I could see where long term if your eping it would be good but for average use I don't think it would be worth it for me.
kbutton24
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 7:17 AM
I agree. I have the Lansinoh as well and it is way too loud. I wedge it in between the couch cushions.

Quoting SadieJames:

I used a hospital grade medela after I had dd while still in the hospital and it was very quiet but I'm not sure about function since I was pumping colostrum (which hurts btw - like pumping out peanut butter, ow.). I use a Lansinoh Affinity now and it's so flipping loud... I HATE that but other than the fact it's obnoxious it's a great pump that does its job.

So basically, in my experience, they functioned generally the same but I don't have a good comparison.  The volume is a huge difference though.

AspensMama1537
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 7:23 AM
My hospital grade is very loud and definitely not portable.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)