Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Real evidence that breastfeeding protects against snoring in children

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 1:50 PM
  • 10 Replies

An interesting article-What are your thoughts?

TSANZWednesday 27 March 2013, 3:13PM

Media release from TSANZ

Australian researchers have provided evidence that breastfeeding protects children against snoring and sleep apnoea.

They report that the longer a child is breastfed the less their risk of regular snoring at the age of eight.

Previous overseas studies have shown that disordered sleep in children increases the risk of learning and behavioural problems.

The Woolcock Institute of Medical Research and the University of Sydney reported there had been some claims in overseas medical literature of the benefits of breastfeeding to prevent sleep problems in children.

"We wanted to see if there was any real population-based evidence to support the claims," researcher Bronwyn Brew said.

Speaking at the annual scientific meeting of the Thoracic Society of Australia and New Zealand (TSANZ) in Darwin today, Ms Brew said the research team collected data from a cohort of 450 children recruited as part of the Childhood Asthma Prevention Study (CAPS).

They recorded data on breastfeeding, formula and solid feeding of the children based on parental recall and measured the children at the age of eight for levels of snoring and sleep apnoea.

The researchers found about 18 per cent of the children were regular snorers or displayed evidence of sleep apnoea.

"Comparing the data, we found that breastfeeding for longer than one month was associated with reduced prevalence of regular snoring at age eight," Ms Brew said.

"We also found the risk of habitual snoring was reduced the longer the children were breastfed."

The researchers say the benefits of breastfeeding in terms of sleep patterns in children up to the age of eight is not fully understood.

"There is a need for further research using a larger cohort of children to inform these initial findings," Ms Brew said.

The most common cause of snoring and sleep apnoea in children is enlarged tonsils and adenoids. Other causes include being overweight or having frequent colds, and there is an association with structural features of the jaw.

The TSANZ Annual Scientific Meeting is being held at the Darwin Convention Centre.   It will run until tomorrow (Wednesday 27 March).

The meeting is addressing advances in the treatment of conditions ranging from respiratory infections to asthma, allergies, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, or COPD, cystic fibrosis, lung cancer and sleep disorders. It incorporates the annual meeting of the Australian and New Zealand Society of Respiratory Science

by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 1:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ms.Pteranodon
by Silver Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 2:20 PM
Interesting... My DS snores now and so does my DH... I thought it was something hereditary. I wonder if he will outgrow it
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Zazayam
by Nicki on Apr. 23, 2013 at 2:54 PM

Neat.

Both of my boys snore like mountain lions, but they were breastfed for 6 and 9 months. Must not have been long enough, lol.

Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Apr. 23, 2013 at 2:57 PM
Same here, but DS is only 20 months, so we shall see. DH was BFed for a year and DS is still going strong! :-)

Pedi told me it was because DS had large adnoids....who knows...?

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:

Interesting... My DS snores now and so does my DH... I thought it was something hereditary. I wonder if he will outgrow it

Sama2Mamma
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 2:59 PM
Son is breastfed but snores lol
Bethsunshine
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 3:01 PM

I  nursed both of mine and they snore. My youngest son was exclusively breastfed, never got a drop of formula and he snores like a buzzsaw. He's 11 now, BTW. He also has asthma.

MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Apr. 23, 2013 at 3:15 PM
dang it.... another fail for not breastfeeding my first. he was preemie.... bad advice. anyways. he snores like a logger!! i will always regret not breastfeeding him
Ms.Pteranodon
by Silver Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 3:50 PM
I read somewhere that breastfeeding can reduce the chance of asthma up to 40% if there is a family history...

:(

Quoting Bethsunshine:

I  nursed both of mine and they snore. My youngest son was exclusively breastfed, never got a drop of formula and he snores like a buzzsaw. He's 11 now, BTW. He also has asthma.

Ms.Pteranodon
by Silver Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 3:51 PM
My DS has large adenoids too. His pedi seems to think he will eventually need them removed.

Quoting Cruz-s-mommy:

Same here, but DS is only 20 months, so we shall see. DH was BFed for a year and DS is still going strong! :-)

Pedi told me it was because DS had large adnoids....who knows...?

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:

Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Apr. 23, 2013 at 4:39 PM
My ods was bf for a year. He was always a mouth breather and snored all the time. When he was about 10, he had to have a T&A (tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy). They were so inflamed and swollen that the dr that did the surgery could barely get anything between his adenoids and his nasal passage. He was surprised that my son could breathe through his nose at all (which was very minimal).
Kellileanne
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 5:12 PM

Interesting, but not sure I buy it.  My oldest was only breastfed 10 weeks and doesn't snore but my youngest is 9 months, still breastfed and snores horribly!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)