Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Bowel Movements

Posted by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 2:31 PM
  • 27 Replies

Is it okay for my lo to have a bowel movement every other day? She's 8 weeks now and last week it was about 3 days since her last bowel movement and my mil gave her glysocine (probably spelled it wrong) but it was a little tube of liquid and she stuck all of it in my daughters behind and now she's pooping 3-4 times a day since she put it in (on the 17th)

So I would just like to knoe form mothers who having experince in breastfeeding. I know with dd#1 is was a little different because she was formula feed. Any advice would help.

by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 2:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Mar. 27, 2013 at 3:23 PM
4 moms liked this
Yes, it is normal! Don't let your mother-in-law do that again!!! There is no reason to make a breastfed baby poop! Not pooping is not constipation, pooping hard dry pellets is. Giving suppositories and trying to make a baby poop can make her dependent on the stimulation to poop for the rest of her life. The time to worry about constipation is when the baby is not wetting enough, not passing gas, the stomach is rock hard, and the poop comes out hard and dry.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
trendy2
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 3:26 PM
Very normal. My LO has gone as long as 16 days with no bowel movement. Now it's anywhere from 3 days to a week or longer before she has a BM. Breastmilk is almost completely digested with very little left for the body to not use. It's used super efficiently.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
new_mommie_2b
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 4:20 PM

See and that is what I've been trying to tell her ans she says no her tummy is hard and she has cramps but she passes gas great, burps great and has 6-8 wet diapers a day. She's even trying to get me to make an appointment to get prescription for them. So we have one next week for shots so I'm going to talk to her pedi then about it.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Mar. 27, 2013 at 4:27 PM
Many pediatricians don't know that not pooping is normal for breastfed babies, so don't rely on the doctor giving you correct information.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Mar. 27, 2013 at 9:15 PM
Why is everyone So suppositoty happy?? Seriously if your child is actually constipated (which yours is not) there are other less envasiveinvasive techniques than shoving medicine up a child a**. It is NORMAL for a breastfed baby to poop once every few days. Please don't let your mother put anything else in your child's rectum.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
GoodyBrook
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 11:50 PM

Your MIL is not helping your baby.  Insist that she leave your baby's behind alone.

preacherskid
by Silver Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 12:19 AM

I had a baby with constipation issues- I have seen just about every variety of poop posible, and there is no mistaking constipation- it is not just not pooping or having a firm tummy, it is rock hard tummy, dry hard pellets, screaming, crying, fussing, and no gas until the constipation begins to move.  

As for your MIL, she is not the mother, you are.  She does not get any say in when you take your child to see a doctor, and frankly I would tell her the next time she tried a suppository would be the last time she saw my child anywhere but my arms.  We never needed to use anything to make her poop, just increased breastfeeding until she passed a bowel movement- we learned later that she has a serious dairy protein allergy that was causing her problems digesting, especially processed foods.  She is four now and we keep prunes on hand, as well as Miralax if nothing else works, on the rare occasion she gets constipated.

Zazayam
by Nicki on Mar. 28, 2013 at 1:59 AM

Yeah I wouldn't let her do that again. BF babies don't really poop as often, no big deal. Think they just keep it all since milk is nothing BUT the stuff they need.

polkaspots
by Gold Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 2:11 AM
My son is 13 months and nurses a lot in addition to his meals. He still doesn't poop every day. I definitely agree with the other posters though. Your daughter is not constipated unless she has the pebbles and the extreme unhappiness and the hard tummy. And there are better solutions for is she doesn't become constipated. More frequent nursing is the best for a baby that's less than two months old. As she gets older, you'll be able to give her prunes, or juices, but you don't have to worry about that.
new_mommie_2b
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 4:19 PM

I don't know how to approach the situation without coming across as a b**** because we currently live with her. Because there are a few other things she and my sister in law does that I don't agree with and I've tried talking to dh about this and all he say is "i told you it was going to be like this" or "what do you want me to do about it" it's frustrating because I don't want to be the bad guy and make it more stressful on us right now since he's the only one in the house whose working.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN