Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Explaining to a 3yo

Posted by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 5:50 PM
  • 19 Replies
1 mom liked this
Why other people, specifically his step mom, don't breastfeed...

My 3(almost 4) year old DS was watching me squirt breast milk up my nose and then up my youngest DS nose. He asked me why I was doing that, and I told him that it would help is feel better. Then he asked how it would make us feel better since its just baby milk.

I told him that boobie milk is not just baby milk it is magical and can make people feel better.
He then asked if I gave his brother Bobbie milk instead of a bottle because it was magical. I told him yes, that it is the best.

Well then he asked why his middle brother got formula in a bottle. I reminded him that his middle brother didn't come out of my belly and that he came out of my SDs belly.

Then he asked if I gave him Bobbie milk or a bottle. I told him that I gave him a bottle of formula becuase I didn't really know any better. He took it has I didn't know how to give him boobie milk. Lol

Well then he asked me if I made his formula out of a can, an I told him yes.

Then he went on to say that his step mom makes his baby sisters milk out of a can and that she gets bottles. He then asked if Bobbie milk was so magical why his step mom doesn't feed his baby sister Bobbie milk. I told him that I didn't know. He asked if she knew how. I told him, I didn't know.

Now I have a feeling that my ex is going to give me crap when he goes over there this weekend if I don't address this before then.

The real reason his step mom didn't breastfeed is becuase (in her own words) she didn't want to "ruin her perfect tits." Have I mentioned lately how much I hate the word tits?

Anyways any suggestions or when I know e will bring this up again?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 5:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ali840
by Bronze Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 5:59 PM
1 mom liked this
You did nothing but tell the truth and answer his questions to the best of your ability. Nothing to explain.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Zazayam
by Nicki on Mar. 27, 2013 at 6:03 PM

I just say that some babies drink from bottles and some babies drink from boobies, but both mommies love their babies. Just like some big kids eat (something the kids likes) and some big kids eat (something they don't like). I used chicken and fish, my niece hates fish so she just nodded like it made all the sense in the world. I know that's not exactly accurate, but it was the best I could come up with on the spot, lol.

I just went through this with my niece wondering why I BF mine and why her mom didn't BF her. The last time her mom was here I was nursing my lil one and she said "When I was a baby I had to eat from boobies too, huh" and her mom told her no and left with zero explanation, lol. I was stumped but just decided simple was best.

Ms.Pteranodon
by Silver Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 6:06 PM
1 mom liked this
How nice of your sister to leave you to explain it all

Quoting Zazayam:

I just say that some babies drink from bottles and some babies drink from boobies, but both mommies love their babies. Just like some big kids eat (something the kids likes) and some big kids eat (something they don't like). I used chicken and fish, my niece hates fish so she just nodded like it made all the sense in the world. I know that's not exactly accurate, but it was the best I could come up with on the spot, lol.

I just went through this with my niece wondering why I BF mine and why her mom didn't BF her. The last time her mom was here I was nursing my lil one and she said "When I was a baby I had to eat from boobies too, huh" and her mom told her no and left with zero explanation, lol. I was stumped but just decided simple was best.

Ms.Pteranodon
by Silver Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 6:08 PM
Yes, but now I can see DS going to my ex or his step mom and saying "mommy said Bonnie milk was magical and the best, how come sissy doesn't get boobie milk?"

Quoting ali840:

You did nothing but tell the truth and answer his questions to the best of your ability. Nothing to explain.

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Mar. 27, 2013 at 6:48 PM
2 moms liked this
You are allowed to advocate for how you feed your babies. You shouldn't have to walk on eggshells worrying about someone else's feathers getting ruffled. You didn't say anything to put anyone else down. Sure, kids might repeat it in a way that might not sound good. But I've worked pretty hard at explaining the "why's" of breastfeeding to my kids so they accept it as their "normal".

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:

Yes, but now I can see DS going to my ex or his step mom and saying "mommy said Bonnie milk was magical and the best, how come sissy doesn't get boobie milk?"

Quoting ali840:

turttlemom
by Nayelli on Mar. 27, 2013 at 8:09 PM

Good luck!!!... I think you did awesome, a very good explanation. 

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Mar. 27, 2013 at 8:11 PM
Exactly!

Quoting mostlymaydays:

You are allowed to advocate for how you feed your babies. You shouldn't have to walk on eggshells worrying about someone else's feathers getting ruffled. You didn't say anything to put anyone else down. Sure, kids might repeat it in a way that might not sound good. But I've worked pretty hard at explaining the "why's" of breastfeeding to my kids so they accept it as their "normal".

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:

Quoting ali840:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ali840
by Bronze Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 8:18 PM
I would find it very difficult to explain the difference between breast and bottle without denigrating formula.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oliver92
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 9:22 PM

OUr boys now 11 grew up thinking something was wrong with other people when they saw my mom at daycare making bottles from a can, they thought it must be something horrible bc they knew that when their brother was born we ebf. They had lots and lots of questions, constantly and thought it was so great that moms had this special power. our 3 yr old knows that moms boobies are getting bigger to give baby milk, but we have never talked about it and when he asks we just say yes, just like you the baby will get milk from mommy.  We just go question by question and I encourage them that its what mom's should do, so I guess if other women dont agree they will have to take it up with them

catholicmamamia
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 9:33 PM

Quoting mostlymaydays: You are allowed to advocate for how you feed your babies. You shouldn't have to walk on eggshells worrying about someone else's feathers getting ruffled. You didn't say anything to put anyone else down. Sure, kids might repeat it in a way that might not sound good. But I've worked pretty hard at explaining the "why's" of breastfeeding to my kids so they accept it as their "normal".

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                     ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)