Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

donating plasma?

Posted by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 7:43 PM
  • 5 Replies
Is it ok to donate plasma while breastfeeding? My youngest nursling is 9 months if that matters.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 7:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
gumbeme06
by Sara on Mar. 27, 2013 at 7:45 PM
I'm curious too
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ckroch
by Colleen on Mar. 27, 2013 at 8:09 PM
I would think plasma would be ok.

LLL says this about donating blood (plasma is blood)

Whether to donate blood is a decision that is best left up to the individual. Opinions vary as to whether it is a good idea. The American Red Cross says this about potential donors, in their Blood Donation Eligibility Guidelines:

defer while pregnant
defer 6 weeks after giving birth
defer 12 months if delivery required a blood transfusion
accept nursing mothers
La Leche League's sources differ in their opinions on blood donation for breastfeeding mothers. Dr. Gregory White does not recommend it. Dr. Jack Newman says any otherwise eligible mother who is not anemic can donate blood. The Canadian Blood Service does not allow breastfeeding mothers to donate blood in the first six months postpartum. LLL recommends that mothers consult their own physicians and make an informed choice.

If a breastfeeding mother chooses to donate blood, she needs to be very careful to stay hydrated. Human milk is 87% water, and a blood donation takes 16 ounces of blood from the body. This is a lot of liquid to replace. All blood donors are cautioned to eat a substantial meal before donating blood and drink large quantities of water afterward. After a donation, donors are advised to avoid heavy lifting with the arm used to donate (to prevent excessive bruising). This may be a consideration for mothers who may not be able to avoid lifting and carrying their babies or older children.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 10:28 AM
I gave whole blood while nursing, which was safe to do after six months. Just remember to eat well and be diligent about hydration afterward.
larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 10:47 AM
Yep, you can donate blood, so I'm sure plasma is fine too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Mar. 28, 2013 at 11:41 AM

You can but they dont recommend it and many places will turn you away..it can cause dehydration

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN