Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Oh what a long day and night

Posted by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 10:15 AM
  • 15 Replies
Yesterday Derek has his 2 month check up, my middle DS, Michael also had his 15 month check up.

Prior to the appointment, I worked on trying to get Derek's congestion under control. And I thought I had. I locked us in the smallest bathroom with a hot shower and vapor steam running. I also put breast milk up his nose. When we came out of the bathroom his nasal congestion was practically gone. He was finally able to eat for more than 5 minutes! Yay!

Then we went to the appointment. Derek now weigh 14.5 lbs! That is double his birth weight!!! He is also 24 inches long. Yay!!

I'm also going to add in here, I LOVE my pedi. He does his preaching but then he listens to your side as well. And even though he is a an older gentleman, with old school style, he stays up to date. His main motto is "if it ain't broke don't fix it." Lol
So in regards to DS tongue tie (which is kinda minor) he wants to hold off clipping, because I'm not having any issues nursing. He said he could outgrow it, but we will see.

He also believes in baby led solids, even though he didn't call it that. He just said the longer you wait to introduce solids the better. He talked about open gut (yay!) and went back to the "if it ain't broke don't fix it." So pretty much if breast milk is keeping him full and happy why give him anything else?

Interesting enough he also made a comment that he didn't think he would have trouble convincing me not to start solids early. He said that usually his breastfeeding moms delay solids. Didn't someone post an article about that?

Then we discussed vitamin supplements. His stance on vitamin d is that even some adults have deficiencies. I argued that people in general don't spend enough time outdoors. I told him that we go outside daily, even if it is just to check the mail or take a short walk and we spend time in our sunroom. So we just agreed to monitor it.

We also discussed my 15 month old behavior and speech problems. My pedi wants to keep monitoring him and possibly have him evaluated after the next appointment.

All good there!'

Then we went to the park, my oldest's (almost 4 year old) favorite park. We don't get to go to it that much because it is kinda far away. My oldest DS did so great yesterday and was such a big helper. I wanted him to have extra time at the park. But of course my one year old wouldn't have it. He was well.... Difficult at the park.

He kept throwing dirt at people and would laugh when I would try to get him to stop, and the throw dirt at me. I removed him from the playground and he would throw a fit. I tried distracting him by getting him to throw a ball instead, and he still insisted on throwing dirt. I ended up putting him in his stroller and not letting him play anymore. I really just wanted to leave because he was acting so bad, but that wouldn't have been fair my oldest. And I just felt so bad as Michael sat in his stroller and screamed. He even tried to reach down and throw dirt from his stroller!!

Then we got home.

After going most of the day with no congestion, Derek was congested again. I suctioned, put saline and breast milk up his nose, ran the humidifier. I was doing everything. The poor baby wasn't breathing well and didn't want to eat. I ended up spending an hour in the bathroom with him at 2am this morning, and he sneezed out quarter size boogers. Poor baby.

I think it was 4am before I finally got to sleep.

And of course my older kids were up with the sun.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 10:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Megadot
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Oh the joys of motherhood :) Keep up the good work Momma!!

Sprtam
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 11:58 AM
Have you tried the Nosefrida? We love it for congestion, gets it all.
Ms.Pteranodon
by Silver Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 12:00 PM
Ive never even heard of that. What is it?

Quoting Sprtam:

Have you tried the Nosefrida? We love it for congestion, gets it all.

Ms.Pteranodon
by Silver Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 12:02 PM
Thank you it was SUCH a lonnng night. I actually ended up taking DS into the guest bedroom because I didn't want to wake DH. I also think the shower woke up my middle DS because he was extra grouchy this morning like he didn't sleep well.

Quoting Megadot:

Oh the joys of motherhood :) Keep up the good work Momma!!

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Mar. 29, 2013 at 2:36 PM
It sounds like an overall great appointment. I do suggest researching tongue ties and the possible effects. It may be fine now, but later when your supply regulates, he might have trouble transferring milk to get enough. It can also affect the teeth and speech.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ms.Pteranodon
by Silver Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 3:20 PM
Well that's why we are at a wait and see kind of approach. If it starts to become a problem we will get it clipped. But it is a very minor tongue tie. I didn't notice it until my DH said something. You can only really tell when he cries because his tongue makes the v shape.

But he can move it around and stick it out past his gums.

Quoting aehanrahan:

It sounds like an overall great appointment. I do suggest researching tongue ties and the possible effects. It may be fine now, but later when your supply regulates, he might have trouble transferring milk to get enough. It can also affect the teeth and speech.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Mar. 29, 2013 at 3:58 PM
The problem is, it could be too late when you notice an issue. I know someone who had her daughter's tie clipped, but she was already too weak to transfer milk and was scarily failure to thrive and was hospitalized and had to have a NG tube for months for supplementation with pumped milk.

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:

Well that's why we are at a wait and see kind of approach. If it starts to become a problem we will get it clipped. But it is a very minor tongue tie. I didn't notice it until my DH said something. You can only really tell when he cries because his tongue makes the v shape.

Quoting aehanrahan:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sprtam
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 6:59 PM

www.nosefrida.com

You use your mouth to suction. Not as scary as it sounds, and much less intense then the bulb nasal aspirator. Works a million times better too. I use a little saline then clear his nose but you can also use bm.
Ms.Pteranodon
by Silver Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 7:46 PM
I have heard of those, I kist didnt know ot was called that. Where can I get that at?

I HATE having to use the bulb syringe.

Quoting Sprtam:

www.nosefrida.com

You use your mouth to suction. Not as scary as it sounds, and much less intense then the bulb nasal aspirator. Works a million times better too. I use a little saline then clear his nose but you can also use bm.

Ms.Pteranodon
by Silver Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 7:48 PM
I'm not trying to sound mean, but weren't there tale tale signs before it got to that point?

In talking low diaper count, abnormal behavior (baby seeming lathargic), baby not swallowing, baby not gaining weight, baby not seeming happy at the breast?

Quoting aehanrahan:

The problem is, it could be too late when you notice an issue. I know someone who had her daughter's tie clipped, but she was already too weak to transfer milk and was scarily failure to thrive and was hospitalized and had to have a NG tube for months for supplementation with pumped milk.

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:

Quoting aehanrahan:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)