Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Antibiotic question

Posted by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 10:50 AM
  • 7 Replies
I have a staph infection and went to the ER yesterday. I was prescribed sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim. I did tell the doc I was nursing and he said he talk to the pharmacist. He said I needed to be on a certain antibiotic due to the severity of the infection. I got the bottle and on it it says do not use if pregnant or breast feeding. Wth!? The doc knew I was nursing. I really need this medicine but don't know how safe it is. Ds is 16 months by the way and doesn't nurse too often anymore. Can anyone tell me how safe it is to use please. I'm freaking out about it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 10:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
IrishIz
by Silver Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 10:56 AM
It's an L3 and at your ds's age...not a problem.

PROBABLY SAFE. Sulfamethoxazole and Trimethoprim is a combined drug product used as an antibiotic in the treatment of various infections. Sulfamethoxazole is secreted in breastmilk in small amounts. Use with caution in mothers with weakened infants, premature infants, or neonates with hyperbilirubinemia, or in mothers with newborn infants (first 22 days). Trimethoprim apparently poses few problems in full term or older infants where it is commonly used clinically but its long-term use should be avoided in breastfeeding mothers. The relative infant dose of trimethoprim is 4-9%. Since this combined drug product may increase the risk of hyperbilirubinemia in newborns, caution recommended first 30 days postpartum. Probably quite safe in full-term and older infants.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Mar. 29, 2013 at 10:57 AM
A bit from lactmed:

With healthy, full-term infants it appears acceptable to use sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim during breastfeeding after the newborn period. Until further data are accumulated, alternate agents should probably be used in jaundiced, ill, stressed or premature infants, because of the risk of bilirubin displacement and kernicterus. Sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim should be avoided while breastfeeding a G6PD-deficient infant.[1]
Aslen
by Bronze Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 10:57 AM

what does Hales book say?

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Mar. 29, 2013 at 10:59 AM
I assume IrshIz post above is from Hale; she's an IBCLC and references him frequently

Quoting Aslen:

what does Hales book say?

YzmaRocks
by Silver Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 11:24 AM
All medications say not to take while pregnant or breastfeeding, including prenatal vitamins. I would listen to the ladies above :)
MommySarah986
by Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 11:29 AM
Thank you guys so much!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Mar. 29, 2013 at 12:50 PM
Yep! It is a cover your ass thing for the drug companies.

Quoting YzmaRocks:

All medications say not to take while pregnant or breastfeeding, including prenatal vitamins. I would listen to the ladies above :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN