Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

RSV in 8 week old (dr wants to supplement)

Posted by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 11:36 AM
  • 12 Replies
Stats -
born 7lbs 2oz no epi, no fluids
Lowest weight was 6lb 1oz
Had jaundice for 3 weeks on bili blanket
At 4 weeks was 7lb 1oz
Now at 8 weeks she is 7lb 13.5oz

They are suggesting admitting her to the hospital based on the results of the rsv swab. She is wheezing and very congested but is still nursing with no problems and has already had 3 wet and 1 dirty diaper since 4 am. They've already mentioned formula twice just at the drs office.

Is her slow weight gain ok considering all the other things we've faced? I thought as long as her diaper counts were good, she was ok. Oh and they weighed her before being nursed and won't weigh her again now that she ate.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 11:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommaponch
by Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 11:49 AM

My daughter was hospitalized with RSV at 3 months.  We ended up there for 10 days.  They monitored her diaper output to make sure she was staying hydrated enough and the closest they got to formula was saying that if she started to be dehydrated because she was too stuffed up to nurse we will talk about giving bottles (breastmilk first).

She definitely lost weight during her illness and was slow to gain it back.  I PERSONALLY don't think formula is necessary in this case, particularly this early in the game.  I think they are being dumb doctors

kilahchaos
by Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 11:55 AM
1 mom liked this

My daughter is only 3 weeks, 3 days old and was hospitalized last week for RSV. She maintaned her weight, and was able to nurse the whole time. Tell em to screw off, no formula!. If her lowest weight was 6.1, then she has gained ALMOST 2 pounds which is pretty good! Especially for having jaundice that long! Just keep doing what your doing, once you get passed at this, things will pick up, I am sure!

CatFishMom
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 12:00 PM

Stick to your guns about nursing-or if they try to push bottles, insist on it being expressed milk. My son (not ill, perfectly healthy) went three months at a time without gaining an ounce. Scared the crap out of me. It wasnt my milk, there was nothing wrong with it or him, it was-and still is-just how he grows. So the fact that shes sick may or may not have anything to do with the slow weight gain. Be your child's advocate-if you want them to weigh her now that shes eaten, demand it and dont give in until they do it. It's a simple thing for heavens sake, and theyre being idiots by refusing. As long as her diapers, etc, show shes doing okay and so on, theres no reason for formula and Id refuse until they tested my milk and told me something was wrong with it. So many doctors are SO quick to jump to formula because they can monitor intake and have more control that way, and some are simply more comfortable with it though I dont know why. Id switch doctors if mine was a formula pusher. (Not that Im saying you should, especially with her being sick, just that if I had ended up with a ped. who didnt support my nursing, I would have walked) Good luck, and I hope your baby gets better quickly!

Dee0886
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 12:03 PM

DD had RSV at 2 weeks. She had to be rushed to the hospital from her 2 week dr appointment bc her oxygen levels were only at 80%. It was really scary so I know how you feel. She was in the hospital for about 3 days. This was about 4 years ago so I don't remember a whole lot of what they had to do but I do remember them supplementing her.

She was born at 6lbs.

mrswhite417
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 1:00 PM
Her dr finally came in. Rsv swab was negative. He said he won't push formula yet but we will have to start doing weekly weight checks. He said try nursing her as long as she wants and then offer 1-2 oz of expressed milk. If she hasn't gained 5 oz by next Friday, we have to go to the hospital and have an ultrasound and X-ray done to check for the possibility of pyloric stenosis. She has started projectile vomiting about twice a day and she did it in front of him. Both dh and his sister had it as babies and had surgery. So we shall see ):
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Mar. 29, 2013 at 2:51 PM
Her weight gain is perfect! Is the doctor going by the lowest weight or birth weight? She has basically gained 2 pounds in 2 months. There is no reason to give exposed milk on to if nursing. Besides, 2 ounces is a whole feeding! If you give that much, she will develop a preference and possibly end up weaned.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lillybug222
by Bronze Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 2:59 PM
You need to ignore the doctor's advice & simply continue to nurse on demand.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 3:05 PM
She's only a couple oz shy of what she should weigh. Weekly weight checks are stupid, honestly. Baby's gain in spurts, for example baby could gain 2oz one week and gain 7oz the next week- overall weight gain is what matters. Nursing a full session and then giving 1-2oz will only stretch baby's belly since 2oz is a full feeding for a breastfed baby. I'd start looking for a new doc if I were you...
As for the vomiting, have you ruled out forceful letdown and/or oversupply?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Mar. 29, 2013 at 3:27 PM
For now take a nursing vacation. BBreast milk up the nose and suction every few hours before nursing. Show up to the weight check. A woman in my dd group was going through this and the doctor called social services on her for not following up with the weight check so my advice is nurse her as much as you can this week. No bottles. Then take her to her weight check Friday. Look around for a new pedi this week. If he is still pushing formula next Friday tell him that you have found a new doctor and wish to see them for a second opinion. That way you will have the name of the new pedi so he will know you are following up somewhere.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
PoodleMum
by Silver Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 4:01 PM

My baby was 5 months and only 10 lbs when she got RSV, they were very adamant that we keep nursing her as much as possible.  No need to supplement :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN