Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

When can I test?

Posted by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 11:50 AM
  • 12 Replies

My daughter was born almost 6 months ago and due to BF I dont have a period. My husband and I have been using condoms to prevent pregnancy, but the other day we did not have any and risked it. How long should I wait to test for pregnancy? Since I dont have a period or "missed period" to go by. Thanks :)

by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 11:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Mar. 29, 2013 at 11:55 AM
I would say app. 2 weeks, however Id think its very unlikely esp. if you EBF and more if you don't use pacifiers.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Megadot
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 12:01 PM

Thanks:) I know its unlikely but I dont want to be pregnant and not know it since I dont have a period I would not know right away lol. I only use a pacifier at night so I dont know if that makes a difference. Thanks again :)

Quoting Cruz-s-mommy:

I would say app. 2 weeks, however Id say its very unlikely esp. if you EBF and more if you don't use pacifiers.

bohomomma
by Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 12:04 PM
Just out of curiosity what does a pacifier have to do with anything?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CatFishMom
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 12:05 PM

It's a myth that nursing will stop pregnancy, just FYI. That said, just go by the standard numbers on the pregnancy test box-three weeks? I dont recall, honestly, but I know it's a little less than the full month. I tested for my last baby almost a week before my period was due(it was a joke, I didnt expect it to come out positive) and it registered but super faintly. With my boys, I was a week or so late with each and there was no mistaking the bright pink line. It just depends on the test-the more sensitive the test, the earlier it will detect it but if you do it too early, you could get a false negative, so dont do it before the test you choose recommends. Good luck!

Megadot
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 12:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Yeah thats why we are using condoms just in case, (but it does not really work if you risk it lol). Thanks I will be sure to wait at least 3 weeks just to be sure I dont get a false reading. :) 

Quoting CatFishMom:

It's a myth that nursing will stop pregnancy, just FYI. That said, just go by the standard numbers on the pregnancy test box-three weeks? I dont recall, honestly, but I know it's a little less than the full month. I tested for my last baby almost a week before my period was due(it was a joke, I didnt expect it to come out positive) and it registered but super faintly. With my boys, I was a week or so late with each and there was no mistaking the bright pink line. It just depends on the test-the more sensitive the test, the earlier it will detect it but if you do it too early, you could get a false negative, so dont do it before the test you choose recommends. Good luck!

Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Mar. 29, 2013 at 12:13 PM
I understand, I'd be the same way. :-) I don't think paci makes that much of a difference, just as long as hunger cues are met at the breast.

Quoting Megadot:

Thanks:) I know its unlikely but I dont want to be pregnant and not know it since I dont have a period I would not know right away lol. I only use a pacifier at night so I dont know if that makes a difference. Thanks again :)

Quoting Cruz-s-mommy:

I would say app. 2 weeks, however Id say its very unlikely esp. if you EBF and more if you don't use pacifiers.

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Mar. 29, 2013 at 12:15 PM
True ecological breastfeeding is extremely effective at preventing pregnancy for those first 6 months. BUT you have to nurse completely on demand and through the night, and NO bottles and NO pacifiers. Once baby has a paci, any solids, or starts sleeping more than 5 hours, the protective benefits decrease and the body thinks that resources to produce and sustain a new baby are returning.

You should get a pos hpt 2 weeks after a successful fertilization. I tested every 3 weeks while I had no period because I didn't want to end up on "I didn't Even Know I was Pregnant". I got my first af here after my 4th when she was 26 months old. I practice NFP.
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Mar. 29, 2013 at 2:55 PM
Do you know your signs of ovulation? If you know when you're ovulating, it will be easier to know when you could end up pregnant, even without a period. I knew when my first period was coming because I ovulated.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lillybug222
by Bronze Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 2:56 PM
2 weeks.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Megadot
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 1:48 PM

I have no idea when I ovulate lol, hubby and I had a hard time getting pregnant the first time because I have a very werid cycle.

Quoting aehanrahan:

Do you know your signs of ovulation? If you know when you're ovulating, it will be easier to know when you could end up pregnant, even without a period. I knew when my first period was coming because I ovulated.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)