Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Old enough to ask, too old to breastfeed

Posted by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 9:41 PM
  • 57 Replies

So I was telling my mom about how DS has his way of "asking" to nurse by walking up to me and pulling down my shirt. DH and I both think it's hilarious he does this! I like that he can "ask," it makes things a little easier! My mom's response? "If he's old enough to ask, he's too old to nurse." Ummm...what? DS is only 10.5 months old and I don't plan on stopping breastfeeding for quite some time, so too bad! Ugh, why can't people in this day and age be more open-minded about something so natural and normal??

by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 9:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommabearbergh
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 9:44 PM
Because society has told them to think a certain way. Some people want to be ignorant about certain things
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lulu_tattoos
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 9:44 PM
4 moms liked this
That's ridiculous. Would she tell you to stop giving him formula if he hadeatned how to sign for it? Lots of babies know basic signs, and can "ask" for things. They also reach for things as a way of communicating their desire. Pulling up your shirt is no different... Your mom needs to re-evaluate lol
beachlove512
by Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 9:48 PM
2 moms liked this

To be honest, I think my mom is just bitter that I'm still breastfeeding because she had already stopped by the time I was 7 months old. She doesn't understand that the AAP recommends breastfeeding for a MINIMUM of 1 year. I'm just going to continue to laugh it off, because I know she's wrong. I'll continue to BF despite her feelings. My boobs, my baby, my choice. :)

Kimbyann
by Bronze Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 9:50 PM
5 moms liked this
Even new babys ask by rooting.... hmmm....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rhodin
by Bronze Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 9:50 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't know about any other babies, but mine were both able to ask for food from birth.

mckinneymom918
by Bronze Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 9:57 PM
I don't agree with your mom on the time to stop part, but it may be time to consider some manners.
JenniferMiller0
by Bronze Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 9:59 PM

Breastfeed as long as you want to. I know EVERYONE is saying tha because my son is nine months old, that it's almost time to wean. I just roll my eyes and don't respond. Sometimes I tell the hubby I will let him wean when he is ready.

beachlove512
by Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 10:01 PM

lol Yes, I do worry about him doing it in public but so far he hasn't. If we're out somewhere and I'm holding him, he just curls up into a ball near my chest and mouths that area. I've been trying to teach him the sign for "milk" for awhile now but he hasn't caught on yet. How can I teach him to ask in another way?

pinkiebabii
by Jennie on Mar. 29, 2013 at 10:02 PM
My son says chi chi when he wants to nurse. He will be one in just over a week. I'm not stopping and him saying chi chi makes it easy. I don't upset him by catching him and taking out my boob just for him to unlatch and crawl away. I ask do you want chi chi and if he does he says "si, chi chi" or just asks for it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
beachlove512
by Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 10:05 PM

I get that a lot too. The closer DS gets to his first birthday, the more I hear "time to wean!" DH is really the only person I know that is 100% with me on extended BFing. Originally I wanted to BF for a year, but now that we're nearing that point, I can't imagine stopping. My current goal is to make it to two years, but who knows, I might reach that point and decide to go a little longer!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN