Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Bad latch now that milk is in **update, success!

Posted by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 12:51 AM
  • 33 Replies
1 mom liked this
What do I do? She only wants to get just the nipple in and if I get more in it still hurts and she slides back to just the nipple. I'm trying so hard to stick this out, but it's so frustrating and painful! :-( I'm tired of either gritting my teeth or crying just to feed my baby :-( Is this a situation to look at a shield? Or any other advice ladies, please, I don't want to give up :-(

Update! We went for dd's check up with the normal pediatrician and she DOES have a tongue tie! Ped says it isn't a bad one, so she would prefer not to clip unless totally necessary. She had me use a shield and dd did perfect and no tears from me! I am one of the lucky few who have a very knowledgable ped who is a strong proponent of BF, ERF, BLS, and anything natural in general. We go back Wednesday unless I have issues before then. Ped wants me to see the LC as well to see if/when we can formulate a plan to transition back to no shield. In the mean time, I'm still a little uncomfortable from the damage that's already done, but I think that will be a thing of the past before I know it!

Huge thank you for all the support I've gotten from you ladies in my time of need and doubt!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 12:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Featured Replies
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 30, 2013 at 12:59 AM

Nope. Correct her every single time she gets it wrong. The instant she slides down, stop the feeding and relatch. Don't let her take even one second in the wrong latch; instantly unlatch and relatch.  Do it evry single time; don't let her get away with a bad latch at all. She'll get the message.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 30, 2013 at 12:59 AM
1 mom liked this

Nope. Correct her every single time she gets it wrong. The instant she slides down, stop the feeding and relatch. Don't let her take even one second in the wrong latch; instantly unlatch and relatch.  Do it evry single time; don't let her get away with a bad latch at all. She'll get the message.

cnlsmommy
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 1:03 AM
That's what I've been doing, but that's horrible for me too. The worst part of the feed is the first 1-2 min for me (even with a good latch). So it's reliving that repeatedly and I just want to cry the whole feeding.

Quoting gdiamante:

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 30, 2013 at 1:09 AM

I understand. This is the bad point and the only way to get through it is to go through it and correct correct correct.

cnlsmommy
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 1:15 AM
Darn, I guess I just keep hoping for a magic potion.

Quoting gdiamante:

I understand. This is the bad point and the only way to get through it is to go through it and correct correct correct.

cnlsmommy
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 2:27 AM
Anybody else? Up again crying, I mean feeding my baby :'(
outstandingLove
by Cheri on Mar. 30, 2013 at 2:41 AM

Quoting cnlsmommy:

Don't give up! Keep trying!

I have a 3month old and have been in pain since day one! I did finally figure out the problem, but it still hurts some.

It will get better! look for help and support. Are you on WIC? in California we get a breastfeeding peer who we can txt or call whenver we need extra support or just someone to talk to or cry to. Look for your LLL. Don't give up!

cnlsmommy
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 2:48 AM
No I'm not on WIC and I don't have anyone around who has breast feed :-( my LLL group only meets once a month during the day, so while I am on leave I would be able to go one time and that's it. Nights are the absolute worst for me. I don't do very well without sleep, so when nursing sessions take 30-45 min just to latch on, it's bad, really bad :'(

Quoting outstandingLove:

Quoting cnlsmommy:

I have a 3month old and have been in pain since day one! I did finally figure out the problem, but it still hurts some.

It will get better! look for help and support. Are you on WIC? in California we get a breastfeeding peer who we can txt or call whenver we need extra support or just someone to talk to or cry to. Look for your LLL. Don't give up!

shortyali
by Alicia on Mar. 30, 2013 at 3:41 AM
1 mom liked this
Has she been checked for tongue tie? All 3 of my kids have had horrible times latching an come to find out its all because of tongue ties.

Quoting cnlsmommy:No I'm not on WIC and I don't have anyone around who has breast feed :-( my LLL group only meets once a month during the day, so while I am on leave I would be able to go one time and that's it. Nights are the absolute worst for me. I don't do very well without sleep, so when nursing sessions take 30-45 min just to latch on, it's bad, really bad :'(

Quoting outstandingLove:

Quoting cnlsmommy:

cnlsmommy
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 3:58 AM
The ped at the hospital and the LC both said she does not, but we see our normal ped tomorrow and I am going to check with her as well.

Quoting shortyali:

Has she been checked for tongue tie? All 3 of my kids have had horrible times latching an come to find out its all because of tongue ties.

Quoting cnlsmommy:No I'm not on WIC and I don't have anyone around who has breast feed :-( my LLL group only meets once a month during the day, so while I am on leave I would be able to go one time and that's it. Nights are the absolute worst for me. I don't do very well without sleep, so when nursing sessions take 30-45 min just to latch on, it's bad, really bad :'(

Quoting outstandingLove:

Quoting cnlsmommy:

amc103
by Alli on Mar. 30, 2013 at 4:21 AM

Have you watched a video about deep latch technique? THis helped me correct Nathan's latch a lot. Its still not perfect because I have huge breasts and his mouth is really tiny, but we're getting there. Also, what PP's have said, just correct it every time. Are you using a clean finger to break the suction? Breaking the suction incorrectly can make your nipples sore too. Hang in there if you can! You're not alone...Im going through it too. :-/ Nathan is 3 weeks old now and Ive been told to just get through it because it will get better. HUGS! 

Check out Deep latch technique on youtube. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)