Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

I feel like I won a prize today!! :D

Posted by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 12:55 AM
  • 10 Replies
4 moms liked this
A little bit of background.... My mother is an intelligent woman with a Masters Degree in Speech- Language Pathology. She's been practicing in her field for almost 14 years now and has worked with patients ranging from preemie babies to geriatric. She's required to keep up with the latest in her field- and that sometimes includes nutrition. This is an educated woman and i trust her implicitly.

On to the story.... We were discussing feeding Bowen as he got older (I can't believe he's 9 wks already!). She brought up cereals and i immediatly stepped up. I told her in no uncertain terms that Bowen would NOT be getting cereal of any kind. When she asked why, i explained. She just kinda said ok whatever, and we moved on to other topics.

Turns out, she did a little research while i was at work. She just called to let me know that she appreciated the information and would not be buying cereals- they wouldn't even be allowed in her house because of the danger. She THANKED me for telling her!!! I couldn't believe it!

I feel like i won a prize! And i just wanted to say thank you to all the IBCLCs and self educated mommies on here. I wouldn't have known if it hadn't been for you ladies. So.... Thank you for giving me this knowledge that i was able to pass along. :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 12:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Mar. 30, 2013 at 4:59 AM
I've been in this group for about 6 years and feel the same way! I learned about it before I had my second son (he's 5) and have been passing it on since.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
8cRuNcHy_GyPsY8
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 4:45 PM

agreed. i learned a lot from moms on here since i had my second. i am very thankful for the knowledge i have gained.

Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Mar. 30, 2013 at 4:52 PM
Awesome!
catholicmamamia
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 6:03 PM

You're welcome.. :o)  I love this story.. thank you for sharing it with us! 

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                     ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

MamaSince2005
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 6:14 PM
What's the danger in cereals?
Momma2013
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 6:19 PM
This. I have an almost 2 month old who Im not giving cereal to but already getting crap for it.

Quoting MamaSince2005:

Zazayam
by Nicki on Mar. 30, 2013 at 6:36 PM

Nice :)

audreesmama
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 8:38 PM
Infant cereal is nutritionally void, and has been linked to diabetes. There is no point in giving it when you can give your child a nutrient-dense food when he/she is ready.

link

Quoting MamaSince2005:

audreesmama
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 8:38 PM
1 mom liked this
Infant cereal is nutritionally void, and has been linked to diabetes. There is no point in giving it when you can give your child a nutrient-dense food when he/she is ready.

link

Quoting Momma2013:

This. I have an almost 2 month old who Im not giving cereal to but already getting crap for it.

Quoting MamaSince2005:

muchlovedby4
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 12:34 AM
1 mom liked this
In addition to being nutritionally void and linked to diabetes... The fake iron in baby cereals prevents the infant from absorbing the real iron in breastmilk, thereby leading to anemia in alot of cases. We have a history of anemia in my family- i'm almost 30 and eat as much iron rich food as i can, and still have problems with it. So i'm not taking any chances with my son.

Quoting Momma2013:

Quoting MamaSince2005:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN