Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need....

Posted by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 4:17 AM
  • 7 Replies

photos of cracked and damaged nipples. Im STILL having pain when Nathan latches on. I know that the latch is good, as good as it can be with my huge jugs and his tiny mouth. :-) The thing is, to me, my nipples look fine! It hurts when he latches, then for about 2-3 minutes after that its painful, then everything is fine! I see no signs of thrush, and many doctors and LC's have said he doesnt have a tounge or lip tie, so what gives? Is it just the way it goes till he's bigger and can take more of my breast into his mouth? He was three weeks old on Thursday. Any ideas? AND can anyone give me a link to cracked nipple photos? I cannot find any online. THANK YOU!

by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 4:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
MamaSince2005
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 4:21 AM

My babies latch hurt real bad for the first 2-3 weeks. She was latching right and i had no cracked or sore nipples. Your nipples will eventually get used to it and it will go away. My baby is 3 months now and i'm so glad that i will never feel that pain again.

amc103
by Alli on Mar. 30, 2013 at 4:23 AM

Thank you! So you think its just normal toughening of the nipples? My nipples have ALWAYS been super sensitive. I never liked them even being touched during intimate times...so maybe thats it? Thank you!!

Quoting MamaSince2005:

My babies latch hurt real bad for the first 2-3 weeks. She was latching right and i had no cracked or sore nipples. Your nipples will eventually get used to it and it will go away. My baby is 3 months now and i'm so glad that i will never feel that pain again.

MamaSince2005
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 4:32 AM

i actually have no idea why it happens. b/c i had no pain with breastfeeding with my first two. but for some reason i did with this baby. The pain was so bad it almost brought me to tears every time. i almost hated breastfeeding, but i knew it would get better and toughed it out. 

Quoting amc103:

Thank you! So you think its just normal toughening of the nipples? My nipples have ALWAYS been super sensitive. I never liked them even being touched during intimate times...so maybe thats it? Thank you!!

Quoting MamaSince2005:

MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Mar. 30, 2013 at 7:58 AM
Look up blanching and vasospasms on kellymom and see if that may be the issue.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 30, 2013 at 6:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Pain at teh beginning of a feed is normal this early on. From what you write, this is a problem that time alone will cure.

amc103
by Alli on Mar. 31, 2013 at 3:24 PM

Thank you for the hope! As long as I know its normal and there's nothing I should fix, I can bear it till it gets better, you know! So your response makes me feel better. Thank you! 

Quoting gdiamante:

Pain at teh beginning of a feed is normal this early on. From what you write, this is a problem that time alone will cure.

maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 3:59 PM

Cracked and damaged means latch is still not perfect. Sometimes the change you need to make is slight. Often it is just a matter of shifting baby's latch so that more of your areola goes into the bottom of baby's mouth.

Look at the animated latch here. Look how the nipple is aimed at the roof of baby's mouth:

http://www.breastfeedingmadesimple.com/animatedlatch.html

More good info for you here:

http://kellymom.com/ages/newborn/bf-basics/latch-resources/

No matter what latch and positioning look like, the true measure is in the answers to these two questions:

1. Is it effective?
  2. Is it comfortable?

Even if latch and positioning look perfect (and, yes, even if a lactation consultant told you they were fine), pain and/or ineffective milk transfer indicate that there is a problem somewhere, and the first suspect is ineffective latch/positioning.

If baby is transferring milk and gaining weight well, and mom is not hurting, then latch and positioning are – by definition – good, even if it’s nothing like the “textbook” latch and positioning that you’ve seen in books.

“Rules and regulations have no place in the mother-baby relationship. Each mother and baby dyad is different and what works well for one mother and baby may not work well for another mother and baby. The important thing to do is to look at the mother and baby as individuals.”– Andrea Eastman, MA, CCE, IBCLC in The Mother-Baby Dance

Following are some of my favorite resources on latch and positioning:

Biological Nurturing: Laid-Back Breastfeeding from Dr. Suzanne Colson. Breastfeeding in a semi-reclined position can be very helpful for both mom and baby.

Newborn Hands: Why are they always in the way while breastfeeding? from the San Diego Breastfeeding Center

Latching handouts by Diane Wiessinger, MS, IBCLC

Breastfeeding: Off to the best start from the UK Department of Health
(Lovely latching pictures here, with simple directions.)

Deep Latch Technique from The Pump Station.
(Good latching pictures and directions.)

When Latching by Anne J. Barnes, has instructions with drawings
(The drawings and tips here are helpful.)

Latching videos by Dr. Jack Newman

Animation illustrating assymetrical latch technique by Victoria Nesterova
(Nice animation — text is in Russian.)

The Mother-Baby Dance: Positioning and Latch-On by Andrea Eastman, MA, CCE, IBCLC
(This is a longish article written for breastfeeding counselors that has some nice descriptions of latching and positioning, along with info on why some things tend to work better than others.)

Is baby latching on and sucking efficiently? How to tell from AskDrSears.com
(A useful list.)

L-A-T-C-H-E-S * Breastfeeding Assessment Tool (for the first 4 weeks) and Scoring Key by Marie Davis, RN, IBCLC
(A tool for professionals that could also be useful for moms who are wondering if breastfeeding is going fine and whether additional help is needed.)

Help for various nursing positions

Lactation yoga, or side-lying nursing without getting up to switch sides by Eva Lyford, @ 

Nursing Laying Down (step-by-step description with photos) from Mother-to-Mother.com

Some tips on the football & cross cradle nursing positions by Kathy Kuhn, IBCLC

Some tips on nursing while lying down by Kathy Kuhn, IBCLC

More useful information

Latching: Thoughts on pushing baby’s chin down when latching @ 

Taking baby off the breast by Marie Davis, IBCLC

PDF Baby-led Latching: An “Intuitive” Approach to Learning How to Breastfeed by Mari Douma, DO, from the Michigan Breastfeeding Network Newsletter, December 2003, Volume 1, Issue 3.

PDF When the Back of the Baby’s Head is Held to Attach the Baby to the Breast by Robyn Noble DMLT, BAppSc(MedSc), IBCLC and Anne Bovey, BspThy

Breast Compression by Jack Newman, MD. The purpose of breast compression is to continue the flow of milk to the baby once the baby no longer drinks on his own, and thus keep him drinking milk. Breast compression simulates a letdown reflex and often stimulates a natural let-down reflex to occur. The technique may be useful for poor weight gain in the baby, colic in the breastfed baby, frequent feedings and/or long feedings, sore nipples in the mother, recurrent blocked ducts and/or mastitis, encouraging the baby who falls asleep quickly to continue drinking.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)