Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

First 24 hrs still in hospital, please advise- Happy Update!

Posted by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 7:58 AM
  • 33 Replies

Hi ladies. I'm back on after 3.5 years!
Yesterday I delivered a 9lb 13 oz baby boy .
Obviously he is big (no diabetes)
He has screamed all night long
I have been alternating breasts for last 10 hours- havent stopped
The nurses want me to "top him up w formula" because he is screaming so much . They say he's obviously so hungry this will help.
They say to give it in a cup and he'll sip at it like cat and it won't interfere w latching , etc
Is this right?
I thought that formula right now will just make everything else harder later?
Can anyone please give me words of wisdom
Thanks

by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 7:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lionpaw
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 8:08 AM

Have you talked to the hospital lacation consultant? Make sure he is latcing right??

I was reluctant to use formula at the hospital too but had to. My girl went to the nicu and she got a formula feeding every 4 hours and between those feedings i was given 30 minutes to  nurse. If she was still hungry after our 30 minutes, tbey topped her off with formula.

She had no problems switching, but all babies are different. Once all other issues worked out, she went to the breast 100%! We are about to celebrate 8 months!

Id talk to his dr, rule out anything else that could cause crying, keep offering boob, and do what your heart tells you. A little bit of formula while your milk comes in wont hurt if the nurses say its okay. But let them do the bottle feedng, so baby only associates you with boob, if you do decide to suppliment a little.

Btw, congrats!!!!

hootowl21
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 8:09 AM
With my DS he ate so often I supplemented a few bottles to give my nipples a rest. Lol. I used formula and breast milk. He did fine with both. But I didn't breastfeed long so here's a bump because idk.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Mar. 30, 2013 at 8:14 AM
3 moms liked this
Have you even tried to pump anything? And I would say keep breastfeeding. Formula would ruin his virgin gut right now. Can you hear him gulping and has he has a wet diaper yet?
ali840
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 8:23 AM
3 moms liked this
DO NOT SUPPLEMENT! I hope I'm not too late. Sometimes newborn babies scream. I would talk to the LC and check your latch before you do anything else. Someone else will have more ideas. BUMP! THIS MAMA NEEDS HELP!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Mar. 30, 2013 at 11:39 AM
2 moms liked this
Do not top off with formula! My 8lbs 7 oz nursed nonstop for he first four or so days! Just keep nursing, you. Probably still producing colostrum ,which is ok :)
ceckyl
by Kyla on Mar. 30, 2013 at 11:43 AM
1 mom liked this
No! Don't do it. His stomachs the size of a marble. He does not need formula. He might need the comfort. It's a scary world on the outside. He needs to establish your supply. It could be other things as well.
Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 12:25 PM
2 moms liked this
How many diapers has he had so far?
My dd was the same way when she was born, it was because she wanted to comfort nurse in between feeding. Your baby is only a day old and they're already pushing formula? Yea, they are NOT knowledgeable in breastfeeding at all. His belly right now is the size of a tiny marble, and is meant to only need a small drops of colostrum at a time, not a cup of formula to "top off".
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 1:13 PM
4 moms liked this
No, no, no, no, no!!!!!!
This happened with my second (also a big guy). Thank GOODNESS I had him at a baby friendly hospital (among other things, absolutely no formula unless a mom requests it) The nurses reassured me that this was a "nursing frenzy" and was completely normal and good. They are doing it to bring in your milk. It's terribly frustrating, but your baby isn't gonna "starve" and introducing formula WILL mess with your supply.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lifeforchrist
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 1:16 PM

my second screamed and screamed. it actually had nothing to do with food. She was just looking for a way to get comforted and sleep, but would scream everytime I let down after she ate. SHe'd scream until i figured out to bounce her in the seat to sleep! dont listen. noooooo formula! all babies are different. Baby isn't going to starve in the first days. let your milk come in

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Mar. 30, 2013 at 1:34 PM
1 mom liked this

Formula ruis the virgin gut, he doesnt NEED anything but your colostrum...bigger babies still have the same nutritional needs and stomach size as smaller babies at birth! Dont let them mislead you.  YES it will mess with BFing because it again ruins the virgin gut, gives all those risks for your newborn that come from formula, AND it means less nursing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)