Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Question about fenugreek and pregnancy. I don't know what to do.

Posted by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 5:09 PM
  • 4 Replies

I'm efbing with my 9 month old and to keep my milk production flowing I'm taking Fenugreek, I've been taking it for 7 months so it's working well for me. 

My question is I had unprotected sex this past Wednesday and there's a 50/50 chance that I could be pregnant. I would be 3 days pregnant.  

On the Fenugreek bottle it says, "not to take while pregnant"  So I'm not sure what to do, should I continue taking it until I know for sure if I'm pregnant and even if I'm pregnant is it safe to take?

Here is also the link in case any wants to look it up

click here

and this is what I found: 

Photo Credit Fenugreek in White Bowl 2 image by Leena Damle from Fotolia.com

Fenugreek is an herbal supplement. During pregnancy, it is important to watch what you consume carefully to prevent any danger to your or your developing baby. Although fenugreek offers some potential benefits during pregnancy, it prevents some risks as well. Understanding these risks can help you and your doctor determine if you should take fenugreek while pregnant.

Potential Benefits

Fenugreek has been used to increase milk flow in breastfeeding mothers, so you may be interested in using it if you are pregnant but still nursing a baby. It has also been used for stomach complaints and as a food flavoring. It can lower blood glucose levels, and Kelly Mom states that fenugreek has been used as a morning sickness remedy during pregnancy.

Free Baby Samples & StuffFree Samples and Magazines Free Coupons and InformationEverydayFamily.com

Uterus Stimulation

According to Babycenter, fenugreek can stimulate your uterus and cause contractions during pregnancy. This can cause you to go into labor early, resulting in a low birth weight for your baby if you are not full term.

Lack of Evidence

It is unknown if taking fenugreek during pregnancy is safe due to the lack of conclusive studies. In these cases, it is only safe to take fenugreek if the benefits of taking it outweigh the potential risks. According to Drugs.com, the amounts of fenugreek found in food, like curries, are not reported to be a problem. Talk to your doctor before taking fenugreek for medical purposes, and be sure to follow his dosing instructions carefully.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/361648-fenugreek-while-pregnant/#ixzz2P3kPo8IF

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 5:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 30, 2013 at 6:34 PM

You cannot take fenugreek while pregnant. Stop for now, when you are late for a period test and if it comes up negative and you get a period, then resume. If you're pregnant, then your only other option is More Milk Plus Two, which is formulated for pregnant women.

Ptitchou
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 6:36 PM
Dairy Diva is also fenugreek free.

About Dairy Diva
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 30, 2013 at 7:06 PM

This site actually suggests NOT to take Dairy Diva during pregnancy because of its active ingredient. The author leaves it to mom's judgment.

Quoting Ptitchou:

About Dairy Diva

Ptitchou
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 8:43 PM
And that can be said about most supplements and herbs. That's why I left the link.

Quoting gdiamante:

This site actually suggests NOT to take Dairy Diva during pregnancy because of its active ingredient. The author leaves it to mom's judgment.

Quoting Ptitchou:

About Dairy Diva

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)