Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Underweight 4 month old doesn't want to eat!

Posted by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 2:18 AM
  • 34 Replies

So, my 4 month old just had her wellness exam this past Thursday, and her doctor said she is underweight! She is 24 3/4 inches & 12lbs 3oz. The doctor said she is only in the 3rd percentile for weight  & wants her to gain. She scheduled us for a weight recheck in 1 month and told me to start supplementing with formula & giving vitamin drops. She has been exclusively breastfed, and while I do work full time, I get to pump while there, so she gets expressed milk from dad. We had a hard time when I first went back to work, in mid-January, where she didn't want to take a bottle from daddy, but she's been over that for a while now, and eats much better for him. But she just doesn't seem to want to eat...I've been putting her to the breast every hour or so, but she'll only nurse for a few minutes, then pull away to make faces & play, or fall asleep. I've tried offering a bottle afterwards, both of EBM & formula, thinking maybe the breast didn't have a fast enough flow or something, but she's not any more interested in the bottle. I know I've got an adequate supply, when I pump at work I get 5-10oz per pump. What should I do if she just isn't interested in eating? How can I get her to gain weight if she won't eat? I wasn't concerned before, as she's always so happy, but the doctor really seemed concerned.

by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 2:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
asaffell
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 2:19 AM

Can you give a weight history - birth, lowest, and anything else?

Also, how many diapers are you getting from her?

SadieJames
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 2:20 AM
4 moms liked this

12 lbs does NOT sound underweight for a 4 month old bf baby! What's the weight history?

piwife
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 2:21 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes weight history. as for the percentile. First those don't mean anything. Second is the doctor using cdc charts or who charts?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GoodyBrook
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 2:22 AM

DS1 would behave the same way at the breast when he was teething...

LBCsMommy
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 2:23 AM

She was 7lb 8oz at birth, but I don't have her other weights with me at this time.

shortyali
by Alicia on Mar. 31, 2013 at 2:23 AM
I agree with pp, what is the weight history and how are the diapers each day? The only way a 12lb 4 month old isn't gods enough is if baby weighed more than 9lbs at lowest weight, which should be around 1 week old.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
piwife
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 2:27 AM
4 moms liked this
Average weigh gain for a breastfeed baby is 1lb per month.. so 7lbs 8 plus 4lbs is 11lbs.8 lbs and your baby is 12.3... weight gain is good. Your doctor just sucks

Quoting LBCsMommy:

She was 7lb 8oz at birth, but I don't have her other weights with me at this time.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sleepymommy87
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 2:30 AM
Dd didn't weigh 12 pounds until close to 6 months and she weighed 7lb 10oz. Sounds like they're not using the who bf babies chart. I've never supplemented and dd is now 14 months and 20lb and perfectly healthy. If baby has 6+ dirty diapers a day she's getting enough milk. Teething can also make them uninterested in the breast because it hurts to nurse with their gums in pain. I always gave dd hylands teething tablets and it helped tremendously. If she's not in pain or anything she could also just be interested in the world as she's more aware and interactive.
LBCsMommy
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 2:42 AM

She has at least 5, probably more like 7-8 wet diapers a day. Her dirty diapers are more sporadic, sometimes 2-3 per day, sometimes 1 every 3-4 days, but I know thats normal for a breastfed baby too...I've been checking for teething, but don't feel anything yet & she doesn't seem to be in pain yet either...

sleepymommy87
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 2:50 AM
Does she drool all the time? That's a classic teething sign.

Quoting LBCsMommy:

She has at least 5, probably more like 7-8 wet diapers a day. Her dirty diapers are more sporadic, sometimes 2-3 per day, sometimes 1 every 3-4 days, but I know thats normal for a breastfed baby too...I've been checking for teething, but don't feel anything yet & she doesn't seem to be in pain yet either...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN