Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Green bm

Posted by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 9:37 AM
  • 8 Replies

Ok my son is two weeks old and he was having the yellow seedy bm but now its has turned green and seedy.  I let him nurse as long as he wants I have not changed my diet or take any medicine so is normal for the color change?

by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 9:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Emadele
by Bronze Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 10:34 AM

youre talking about poop.. :) its ok, you can say poop here.  BM normally means BreastMilk around here.  i was a bit confused for a second. :)

anyway, green can be in the range of normal.  but it can also indicate a bit of an over supply (extreamly normal at 2 wks, youre still regulating) or it could indicate a sensitivity to something you are eating.  at this point i would let it ride since you state it is still seedy and chalk it up to a bit of over supply.  it will regulate in time.

Married to Russell (7/27/09), Momma to Haydn (5/27/10) and Donavyn (8/1/12).
anxiousschk
by Bronze Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Yeah, it's fine.  

DD had green poo off and on for awhile.  Sometimes there was mucous and sometimes not.  

I didn't really change my diet at all.  

It evened out on it's own.  If your baby is feeling fine, gaining weight as he should, it might just be green poop. 

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 31, 2013 at 12:01 PM

Normal. Not a problem. Google "Color of the Day" by Dr. Jay Gordon.

audmom1218
by Silver Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 12:09 PM
1 mom liked this
Ha! I've seen both! Pumped milk that looks green the next day, and green poop! Both are in the realm of normal!

Quoting Emadele:

youre talking about poop.. :) its ok, you can say poop here.  BM normally means BreastMilk around here.  i was a bit confused for a second. :)

anyway, green can be in the range of normal.  but it can also indicate a bit of an over supply (extreamly normal at 2 wks, youre still regulating) or it could indicate a sensitivity to something you are eating.  at this point i would let it ride since you state it is still seedy and chalk it up to a bit of over supply.  it will regulate in time.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
rrs256
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 10:21 PM

It's definitely normal. If you look it up on babycenter they say that it is normal. I wish I still had the article. My son had the same thing and the doctor told me it was completely normal. The thing you should be worried about is blood in the stools and if it comes out solid (shouldn't until he is eating solids). If it comes out in flakes or solids (could mean constipation). It should be kind of like pudding.

trilliandent42
by Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 2:17 PM

That's funny, I tried pumping in the beginning, hated it, but my milk was sometimes the tint of green!  I always wondered why...  I gave up and forgot about it...

Quoting audmom1218:

Ha! I've seen both! Pumped milk that looks green the next day, and green poop! Both are in the realm of normal!

Quoting Emadele:

gumeshoe
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 3:58 PM

The green stuff didn't bug me so mucgh. I don't like the random orange diaper change.

o0laurie.love0o
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 5:22 PM
Ha, I literally just asked this. But my baby is older. :P
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN