Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

OMG! IT's finally happened...

Posted by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 11:08 AM
  • 24 Replies

So, my nine month old is making the transition to solid table food. So far he's had: Cheerios, wheat toast, a little sliver of chicken, and some turkey. Any suggestions on what else I can get for him? We're hopefully going grocery shopping tomorrow if the weather permits.

CafeMom Tickers
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 11:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ptitchou
by Bronze Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 11:11 AM
I personally would steer clear of grains. But avocado is a great choice. Peas, green beans, sweet potato, pear, banana, carrots.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
addiesmommy1109
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 11:13 AM
1 mom liked this
Banana, sweet potato and avocado are great first foods
beachlove512
by Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 11:17 AM
1 mom liked this

DS is 10 months and I just bought him these baby yogurt drops with probiotics. I think they're called HappyBaby happycreamies. They dissolve quickly and taste pretty good too (yes I've eaten some haha). You could also try slicing up a banana or avocado or steamed sweet potato. Scrambled or hard boiled egg yolks would be good too (provided your family has no history of food allergies). 

JenniferMiller0
by Bronze Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Why? Are grains bad for him or something? And I forgot to put banana down. lol. He didnt really eat much of it. He mostly just knawed on it cause it was cold and I guess it felt good on his teeth.

Quoting Ptitchou:

I personally would steer clear of grains. But avocado is a great choice. Peas, green beans, sweet potato, pear, banana, carrots.

CafeMom Tickers
JenniferMiller0
by Bronze Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 11:21 AM

I'll have to try those out. I figured it's time because no matter what we are eating, he wants to grab the food from us. We don't exactly eat "baby" friendly food most of the time so It's time for his own food. And as far as I know, no one in my family has a history of food allergies.

Quoting beachlove512:

DS is 10 months and I just bought him these baby yogurt drops with probiotics. I think they're called HappyBaby happycreamies. They dissolve quickly and taste pretty good too (yes I've eaten some haha). You could also try slicing up a banana or avocado or steamed sweet potato. Scrambled or hard boiled egg yolks would be good too (provided your family has no history of food allergies). 

CafeMom Tickers
Ptitchou
by Bronze Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 11:22 AM
Babies *can* lack the amylase required to digest grains properly. Some science shows the levels aren't high enough until they've gotten their molars, etc. so it's a bigger risk than I'm willing to take and I wait until at minimum, 1yr. Sort of a risk assessment sort of thing. Totally your call for your little:).

Quoting JenniferMiller0:

Why? Are grains bad for him or something? And I forgot to put banana down. lol. He didnt really eat much of it. He mostly just knawed on it cause it was cold and I guess it felt good on his teeth.

Quoting Ptitchou:

JenniferMiller0
by Bronze Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Well, he's only had the whole wheat toast the one time. lol. But he does love his cheerios...or as I call them, his "chi-chi's." lol

Quoting Ptitchou:

Babies *can* lack the amylase required to digest grains properly. Some science shows the levels aren't high enough until they've gotten their molars, etc. so it's a bigger risk than I'm willing to take and I wait until at minimum, 1yr. Sort of a risk assessment sort of thing. Totally your call for your little:).

Quoting JenniferMiller0:

Quoting Ptitchou:

CafeMom Tickers
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Mar. 31, 2013 at 11:32 AM
1 mom liked this

You name a veggie r fruit and youc an try it...besides maybe oranges those tend to be too acidic

JenniferMiller0
by Bronze Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 12:03 PM

Maybe I'll get some strawberries. I LOVE those so maybe he will as well. I'm trying to think of a veggie...I'm not a fan of veggies so I dunno...

EDIT: Okay, so never mind about about the strawberries. I just read that strawberries are known to be highly allergenic and most doctors recommend waiting till at least 12 months before introducing them into a baby's diet.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

You name a veggie r fruit and youc an try it...besides maybe oranges those tend to be too acidic

CafeMom Tickers
Tckosdk.2012
by Bronze Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 12:37 PM

Try out Wholesome baby food.com, they have all the lists of foods that are appropriate for what age & have a whole section on baby led solids.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)