Nursing after C section or major surgery (long)
I am 20 weeks along with baby #4. I have attempted to nurse my other 3 unsuccessfully for different reasons for each.
My first two were schedueld c sections 1 was breeched and the other an auto repeat) and my third a natural VBA2C. My babies are always big ones as well (9+lbs no diabetes). My first got a bottle in the hospital because he was not eating and just wanted to sleep and afterwords would not latch. I blew the motor in my cheap pump I bought just in case w/n 2 weeks. I lost supply waiting on a replacement part and never got it back and being a first time mom did not seek help. My second would latch but was not eating well. At this point I am convinced he had lip/tongue tie but i did not seek out help early enough. I felt i was doing everything right but the latch was still painful and he would nurse for 40 painful minutes and was hungry 20 mins later..literally. With my daughter things went well. She was a natural birth and I was able to latch her right away but then she was sent to the NICU due to breathing issues and I pumped the first 24 hrs and they let me nurse her after that. I sat with a LC for 2 days and she assured me things looked good although the latch was still not quite comfortable. The LC said her tiny mouth would grow and adjust to the size of my nipple and it should be fine. I nursed for about 6 weeks alternating between pumping and nursing straight because she would nurse a while then detach and still want more so I gave her what I was pumping after she would nurse. Her latch also never did get more comfortable. It always hurt. After 6 weeks I got a bad kidney infection and I am convinced that the antibiotics killed my supply bc I could never get it back and I tried everything. I am also wondering if she might have been tongue tied.
At my ultrasound with the current baby at 20wks we discovered that I have a low lying placenta which could result in placenta accreta (where the placenta grows into my old c section scar) which would mean I may need a c section and a possible hysterectomy if the placenta burrows into or through the uterus. It hasn't happend yet and may not happen, I am just researching. I know if that happens, I will miss that initial bonding time with the new baby (like I did with my first 2 c sections) but i would still like to try again to nurse. I have learned tons and I have 3 mothers that live at my back door literally and one is a doula with LC experience so I will have support. If i wind up with a csection/hysterectomy, how will that affect me nursing and what can I do (if anything) to ensure things will work this time? I do know that a hysterectomy would mean a long surgery and longer recovery process.