Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

To all you extended breastfeeding moms...

Posted by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 10:03 PM
  • 18 Replies
I have a question, I haven't given my 1 year old any juice, he doesn't drink much water, just nurses.
Nobody around me breastfeed :(
So his cousin is around him always with a sippy of whole milk. My first DS hated whole milk just drank BM till 18 mon (wish I went longer but dried up due to pregnancy this time around ds2 is nursing as long as he wants) than he drank goats milk (sparingly)
Anyways, I ramble I apologize (mush brain after 9)
Ds2 loved the taste of whole milk, but I genuinely see no nutrition in it and would rather him drink water & BM until at least 2. The question is what/when have your toddlers transitioned into drinking a lot of water, or cows milk? If they even have? (If I had raw cows milk it would be a different story, I would than allow a little in his diet)
I have just noticed a big difference in how often he's gotten sick and how well he's fought it off in comparison to ds1, ds2 had child lead weaned so he's always consumed more BM in comparison. I honestly didn't know that food was for play until 1 so ds1 started eating baby mush at 6 mon, and drank enough BM (but not as much as he should of in my eyes now)
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 10:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NollynsMommy14
by Bronze Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 10:07 PM

BUMP!

poosey08
by Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 10:10 PM

I have a 20 month old that drinks bm, cows milk and water. We usually warm milk up for him twice a day, he breastfeeds a few times and i offer water a few times. Breastmilk is still the main source.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Mar. 31, 2013 at 10:22 PM
After a year, I made water available to him so he could drink as much as he wanted asking with nursing on demand. He slowly increased his intake as he needed. He continued too nurse on demand (almost constantly) until after 3 years old. He has had cow's milk quite a bit since his dad drinks it all the time. I don't know how much he drinks at his dad's, but here, he has a little milk with his meals when he asks. He's 5.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jlr09092006
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 10:42 PM
My 2 year old refuses to drink anything but BM and water. She nurses 3 or 4 times a day. Occasionally she might drink a sip or two of chocolate milk, but that is rare. I don't really remember when she started drinking as much water as she does though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 31, 2013 at 10:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Mine never drank much milk. He started drinking more water around age two.

Mom's choice after the first birthday; there are no wrong answers.

jjchick75
by Silver Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 10:48 PM

Mine all have dairy allergies, so no cows milk. We started giving a sippy of water with solids at around 10 months or so. My kids don't drink anything but breastmilk(until they wean of course) and water. 

maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 11:00 PM

I started offering water in a cup soon after starting solids, but they didn't really start drinking much water until after a year. 

I just followed baby's lead as to how much solids/breastfeeding. I offer water to drink (I drink a lot of water and more often than not DD wants to drink out of my water cup). The kids like to have water bottles in the car and when we are out and about.

We don't drink milk. Just food and water! I have one out of 3 who is still nursing and so she still gets breastmilk :-)

maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 11:01 PM

FYI to the cousin always with the sippy of milk, that is really bad for the teeth!

larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 11:04 PM
My kids don't drink juice or cow milk. There is always a cup of water available and they bf on demand when still at that age.
I never worry about how much/little they're drinking, if it's there, they'll take care of the rest!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Apr. 1, 2013 at 2:03 AM
Yes, it is! I only gave Johnathan water in his sippy cups.

Quoting maggiemom2000:

FYI to the cousin always with the sippy of milk, that is really bad for the teeth!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)