Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Wet nurses should make a comeback!!!!!

Posted by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 10:11 PM
  • 36 Replies
1 mom liked this

Poll

Question: Would you be a wet nurse for friends of family babies? Or any baby??

Options:

Never, not for me

Yes! I wouldn't care any baby that needed me

Yes! But only for friends and family babies

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 79

View Results

LOL at my title

I whole heartily would wet nurse babies just so they wouldn't have to drink formula, weather it be because a mother can't, or they just don't want to. I don't respond well to a pump anymore and I believe babies deserve warmth and closeness of the body while they eat.

by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 10:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NollynsMommy14
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 10:12 PM

BUMP!

ali840
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 10:14 PM
I would love to nurse a baby and make money for it! I LOVE NURSING :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tarakay0417
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 10:15 PM
I woulf bf any baby that needed it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
tina08mommy
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 10:16 PM
Only for friends and family
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rbailey2414
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 10:17 PM

I would be a wet nurse for someone elses baby, but I cannot trust anyone else to provde for my child because I dont know their lifestyle!

audreesmama
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 10:17 PM
3 moms liked this
YES!!! And I have! I had a friend who had cancer and her dd was a week younger than my dd. Her dd couldn't tolerate formula and mom couldn't pump, so donor milk was next. I was at the hospital one day and the baby was staying with me, since she was a single mom. The baby was crying and I was freaking because I spilled the 8oz of expressed milk I had with me. Mom told me to just feed the baby. I was like...I can't!! I spilled it! She told me I had boobs, so feed the baby.

I had never thought of that before. I was so happy lol.

And that's how I became a wet nurse until the baby self-weaned at a year.
jamamama00
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 10:18 PM
From what I understand, at one point in history, kings were admonishing those who chose to use wet nurses because the practice was creating a national health crises. Letting others nurse your babies caused problems with diseases and also with the milk not meeting the needs of the baby (as your milk consistency changes as the baby grows...if it is someone else's baby that's a problem). I'm quite shocked that people are for this. I dont want someone else's body fluids in my child....but that's just me.
Jessicamarquez
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 10:20 PM
I'd love to have a wet nurse I don't nurse not gunna lie I just gave up felt like I wasn't doing it right after a month of pumping and my milk going down.
emmy526
by Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 10:21 PM

i'm too old but i woulda done it if i could have....

norahsmommy
by Silver Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 10:21 PM
1 mom liked this
It was frowned upon because many women were neglecting their own infants health in favor of the infant they were getting paid to feed. Restrictions were attempted to ensure the wet nurses child was at least 6 months of age before the moms could become a wet nurse.

Quoting jamamama00:

From what I understand, at one point in history, kings were admonishing those who chose to use wet nurses because the practice was creating a national health crises. Letting others nurse your babies caused problems with diseases and also with the milk not meeting the needs of the baby (as your milk consistency changes as the baby grows...if it is someone else's baby that's a problem). I'm quite shocked that people are for this. I dont want someone else's body fluids in my child....but that's just me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)