Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

HELP! He needs to eat!

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 3:40 PM
  • 30 Replies

My son has recently within the past couple of days starting Thursday, refusing his bottles. He is with his dad during the morning and afternoon. I come home at 12:00 everyday and nurse then nurse at night and before work in the am so he gets a bottle twice a day. He pushes it out with his tongue or cranes his neck away. Today he ate less than an ounce before I got home for lunch. He has no problem nursing at all goes right to the breast. I don't know what to do. He is almost 5 months, but need to be eating! I've read a couple things about preference, which isn't really helpful. I also read a couple mom switched from bottles to the sippy cups and that worked. Anyone experience this and know what I can do to get my little man to eat, short quiting my job to breastfeed! BELIEVE me if it was an option I would be there in a heartbeat!

by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 3:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Featured Replies
Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 4:24 PM
And definitely do not increase the nipple flow on bottles. Slow flow only.
Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 4:23 PM
I'm not seeing a problem mama, other than those bottles that you're leaving need to be smaller. Breastfed babies only ever need 1-1.25oz per hour and bottles should never be larger than 3oz. If he's truly hungry, he'll eat. Alot of babies reverse cycle and wait til mama is home to nurse, which is not only perfectly ok, it's also really beneficial to mom's supply. :)
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Apr. 1, 2013 at 4:03 PM
1 mom liked this
How long total is he going without nursing and how many diapers is he having a day. Is he nursing through the night?

Edited:
I reread and it sounds like you are gone for about four hours, come home to nurse and then gone another few hours. As long as he's nursing at night and having about four wets a day he is fine. would you be worried if he slept for 8 hours at night? If he is not having enough wet diapers try a sippy, syringe, open cup, frozen bm cubes in a mesh feeder.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
die4u
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 4:13 PM

the frozen bm cubes is a good idea that i didn't think of. and your right, my so was saying that waiting till i came home for lunch and then when i get home in the evening, would be ok. he eats about every 4 hours 4-5 ounces. He is 14lbs 24 inches long. His diapers are fine. I get nervous, he is my first bf baby.

maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 4:19 PM

Since you are able to come home and nurse at lunch, I wouldn't worry at all. As long as you let him nurse as often as he likes when you are together, he will get plenty to eat. He has the whole 24 hrs of the day to get what he needs. If goes 4 hrs between feedings twice a day, not a big deal. 

Some babies will not nurse or take a bottle the whole 8 hrs while mom is at work, and get all of their nursing in in the remaining 16 hrs of the day. This is often called reverse cycling.

Keep in kind that if you hear of a 5 month old who is sleeping a long stretch of time at night w/o nursing or bottles, 8-10-even 12 hrs, no one worries that the baby will starve or get dehydrated, people just say, wow, what a good baby sleeping through the night. Same thing if baby does not eat while you are gone, he will not starve or get dehydrated. In another month or two he may be eating some solids and he can have solids when you are away.

Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 4:23 PM
I'm not seeing a problem mama, other than those bottles that you're leaving need to be smaller. Breastfed babies only ever need 1-1.25oz per hour and bottles should never be larger than 3oz. If he's truly hungry, he'll eat. Alot of babies reverse cycle and wait til mama is home to nurse, which is not only perfectly ok, it's also really beneficial to mom's supply. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 4:24 PM
And definitely do not increase the nipple flow on bottles. Slow flow only.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Apr. 1, 2013 at 4:29 PM
Agree with above, and doing the frozen.breastmilk route would be the best way t get him some while you are gone. Gl!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Apr. 1, 2013 at 4:33 PM

If there was a problem, the dipe count would be down. Baby's just awaiting for you. If he needed to eat, he would.

die4u
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 4:34 PM

His doctor has told me that to spread his feeding out and to feed more per ounce. I told her what was said here about no more than 3oz and she said no he needed to be eating 4-5 ounces ever 3-4 hrs. It gets so confusing when i get conflicting information.

mamabens
by Miranda on Apr. 1, 2013 at 4:40 PM
2 moms liked this

Your dr is used to formula fed babies. You want baby to get more for the breast and not fill up on the bottle. What baby is dong is fine. You wouldn't worry if he was not eating for 6 hrs because he was sleeping would you?

Quoting die4u:

His doctor has told me that to spread his feeding out and to feed more per ounce. I told her what was said here about no more than 3oz and she said no he needed to be eating 4-5 ounces ever 3-4 hrs. It gets so confusing when i get conflicting information.

BabyFruit Ticker

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 4:41 PM
Read the kellymom.com article on bottlefeeding the breastfed baby. It gives a good explanation of why less breastmilk is needed per bottle. It's different than formula feeding.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)