Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Moms who breastfed past one year...

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 7:16 PM
  • 67 Replies

I'm soooo upset!  Today my dd had her very first dentist appointment.  She is 3 1/2.   Turns out she has SIX cavities!!!!  I'm sooo upset and dumbfounded and shocked.  My first thought was, 'oh my we better watch the sweet intake, but he didnt even say a word about food. You know what he told me?...Because I breastfed past one year!  His first question was "how long was she on a bottle?"   When I said never, she bf, he asked how long. When I told him about 2 years he says, "oh well that's why we recommend you only breastfeed for one year." And the look he came me made me want to spit fire in his face.   First of all, when do you tell us that, because I never met you before in my life, and second, you don't even see patients until they are 3, so who are you telling this to? So then he starts talking about bringing her back in a couple weeks and that she was a good patient so he won't put her to sleep, but give her laughing gas instead. I mean really? It took us all week to get her comfortable about going there today, she was really worried.  I know we need to take care of this before they get worse, but I'm so upset by the reason he gave is so disappointing, I never ever heard of this before. Ad even if it is a reason, why did this not even cross my mind in the two years of bf.   anyone go through this? I feel so bad for her :(. Like its all my fault for doing what I thought was just best for her. 

by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 7:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BrooklynsMom11
by Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 7:24 PM
5 moms liked this
Yea.....no. I'd probably find another dentist. Breastfeeding isn't the issue.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lovemymichael
by Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 7:28 PM

I agree.  I'm allready looking for a second opinion. His opinion didn't sit right with me at all.

Quoting BrooklynsMom11:

Yea.....no. I'd probably find another dentist. Breastfeeding isn't the issue.

happymama2D
by Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 7:31 PM
I breastfed both my son's past a year (19 months and 2.5 yrs.) and no cavities. I've never heard that before.
ceckyl
by Kyla on Apr. 1, 2013 at 7:32 PM
9 moms liked this
I would have said to him, really? Because the WHO recommends a 2 year MINIMUM. can you show me what organization say to stop at a year?
LoveMyDog
by Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 7:33 PM
3 moms liked this

Your dentist is an idiot.  Find a new one.  Two reasons 1) he made up that stupid ass reason and 2) he automatically puts children under.  Both complete BS.  My kid that I breastfed past 2 has the least cavities.  He is in high school now. So we have plenty of history to go on here. Find a new dentist. Don't take her back to this one.

lovemymichael
by Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 7:35 PM

I guess the dentist manual tells them to say that.  I told him I never heard f such a thing, he went on to explain about all the sugar building uo on their teeth all night long since you don't brush it off during night feelings. 

Quoting ceckyl:

I would have said to him, really? Because the WHO recommends a 2 year MINIMUM. can you show me what organization say to stop at a year?

gumbeme06
by Sara on Apr. 1, 2013 at 7:37 PM
Find a new dentist.
lovemymichael
by Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 7:37 PM
1 mom liked this

I won't! My husband is pissed he said that to me and won't let me go back eithher

Quoting LoveMyDog:

Your dentist is an idiot.  Find a new one.  Two reasons 1) he made up that stupid ass reason and 2) he automatically puts children under.  Both complete BS.  My kid that I breastfed past 2 has the least cavities.  He is in high school now. So we have plenty of history to go on here. Find a new dentist. Don't take her back to this one.

twinsmom12110
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 7:37 PM
7 moms liked this
Breastmilk has ANTI cavity properties so your dentist is a wank.
preacherskid
by Silver Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 7:42 PM
1 mom liked this

That is true- for formula fed babies and children who have food/drink with sugars after brushing teeth and before going to sleep.  Breastmilk does not fit in the equation because 1) the way a baby suckles at night prevents pooling and 2) in older children the sugars are only an issue with breastmilk if the child has brushed teeth (or doesn't at all) then eats something, then nurses- the sugars from the non breastmilk food sit on the teeth and can cause cavities over time.  The components of breastmilk themselves are not conducive to cavity formation.

Quoting lovemymichael:

I guess the dentist manual tells them to say that.  I told him I never heard f such a thing, he went on to explain about all the sugar building uo on their teeth all night long since you don't brush it off during night feelings. 

Quoting ceckyl:

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN