Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Not every doctor is smart

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 11:01 PM
  • 46 Replies
1 mom liked this

Every single appointment, without fail, my son's doctor asks me how much formula he is getting. He has known that I breastfeed exclusively since he first met my us in the hospital. I always tell him the same thing, "I exclusively breastfeed." You would think that there would be a note or something in my son's file stating that he is breastfed. I bothers me that he keeps asking. I don't know of its because he incourages formula or the idiots around here formula feed. He also flipped when I mentioned that I co sleep. He immediately told me that a baby died from the mother rolling onto it recently. I wanted so badly to tell him to actually do research on the subject. I don't know how to handle this. I really like the doctor, but his stupidity bothers me sometimes.

by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 11:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jackiewal10
by Silver Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 11:03 PM
2 moms liked this

Why is this guy still your pedi?  I would have dumped him a while ago.

TamaraDawn91
by Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 11:07 PM

I have Medicaid for my son and I don't know if I just switch doctors.

Quoting jackiewal10:

GoodyBrook
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 11:08 PM
2 moms liked this

You're not a hostage to idiot doctors simply because you're on Medicaid!  Call around and find another Pediatrician's office that honors Medicaid....  Then they'll call your old Pedi for the records, so you don't even have to go back.

Quoting TamaraDawn91:

Quoting jackiewal10:

beachlove512
by Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 11:16 PM

My son's ped is the same way. Every single visit he asks if he's still being formula fed and I tell him every. single. time "he's breastfed." I think where I live ff is more common but really you'd think he would have caught on by now. I really want to change peds but I'm new to the area and there are sooo many doctors I can't figure out how to choose one. Before we moved DS's ped was wonderful, wish I could still use her.

audmom1218
by Silver Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 11:19 PM

Do you know what they call the person who graduates last in their class in med school?  Doctor  :(

GoodyBrook
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 11:20 PM

Quoting audmom1218:

Do you know what they call the person who graduates last in their class in med school?  Doctor  :(

Yep!  "D's get degrees."  :(

SadieJames
by Sarah on Apr. 1, 2013 at 11:33 PM

Contact your local LLL.... Someone there might be able to help.

Quoting beachlove512:

My son's ped is the same way. Every single visit he asks if he's still being formula fed and I tell him every. single. time "he's breastfed." I think where I live ff is more common but really you'd think he would have caught on by now. I really want to change peds but I'm new to the area and there are sooo many doctors I can't figure out how to choose one. Before we moved DS's ped was wonderful, wish I could still use her.

Sebbiemama
by Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 11:49 PM

Yeah, the guy sounds like an idiot. If he's this clearly dense (doesn't listen to you and isn't current on AAP guidelines on breastfeeding), what else is he wrong about? I wouldn't trust his advice on anything!

It's actually great that there are lots of doctors in the area. I've actually had luck picking doctors just using patient reviews on google. Get a list of pediatricians in the area and start doing google searches on their names. Healthgrades.com and ratemds.com are useful if you don't have anyone to give you a recommendation. The first site even has a list of the insurance they accept. Good luck finding a better doc soon! 

SkylarBeth
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 4:11 AM
You start calling offices till you find one that takes medicaid and is enrolling new patients, then you schedual a meet and greet.

Quoting TamaraDawn91:

Quoting jackiewal10:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LoveMyDog
by Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 7:09 AM
1 mom liked this

If you choose to go back (AND i'M NOT RECOMMENDING IT)  The next time you just stop and stare at him as if he has 2 heads.  If he really doesn't get it and doesn't have enough sense to check the chart and figure it out while you stare at him, then you prode him with what does it say in his chart?  Make him feel like a moron.  Once he experiences a bit of discomfort he might just change his behavior.  It is called negative conditioning.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)