Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

my nipples hurt so bad i cry when baby nurses

Posted by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 5:10 AM
  • 8 Replies

this is my 3rd daughter, i didnt make it very far with breastfeeding with the older 2..due to cracked/bleeding nipples. at the hospital, Iriana was doing GREAT, she latched perfectly, no pain..but now that i'm home my nipples are getting the red sores on them again, she isnt latching correctly anymore..im doing exactly the same thing i did at the hospital! i dont know what to do, i just nursed her and it hurt so bad i cried the first 5 minutes. i dont want to give up, but i cant take this pain.

help?

by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 5:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
TamaraDawn91
by Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 7:05 AM

Try a nipple shield.

kmorales7690
by Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 7:08 AM
Palmers has a nipple cocoa butter I used every time baby nurses or I pumped. Keeping them moisturized will help until your nipples get used to it!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kmorales7690
by Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 7:09 AM
Also a shield as pp said
MommyLo
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 7:33 AM

i tried a shield, idk if im using it right..but it feels like my nipple is being sucked thru a vacuum..it fn hurts..

mama-smurf
by Felisha on Apr. 2, 2013 at 7:37 AM
What I did is I used lanolin cream after every other feeding. Doing that helped me every time it hurt.
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Apr. 2, 2013 at 7:42 AM
1 mom liked this
Has your milk come in? Her suck may ease up a bit then. Express some milk or colostrum on your nipples and let them air dry. Try a small amount of lanolin. Are you propping the baby up high enough? Even with my fourth I had the LCs reminding me that I needed to get the baby higher than my arms could hold. Make sure the baby's mouth is really open and those lips flanged out. I've foud the first couple weeks to be a bit awful with nipple pain even doing everything right; its been a matter of being tired and overly sensitive to pain, and a new baby whose a super sucker. At this stage it's most likely a latch problem. Does your hospital have a support group for breastfeeding moms? Saved my breastfeeding life. ;-) The LCs can help with the latch and check for tongue ties. I wouldn't use a shield unless you were already at your last resort. So many people come on here saying they can't get the baby to nurse without the shield and the baby transitions instead to bottles. They're great if you truly need them but they risk setting up other problems. Start with an LC.
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Apr. 2, 2013 at 1:07 PM
I'm thinking there may be a tongue and/or lip tie that could be affecting the latch and causing pain.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
workathomema-tx
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 2:13 PM

A nipple sheild and cream did wonders for me!!  Also just try pumping for a few feedings if they're in that bad of condition to let them heal some. You can do it girl. Keep up the good work! (: 

http://workathomeunited.com/jobs8

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN