Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

**EDIT** I have another question, mommas. It's about something the Pedi said and i want to check the validity.

Posted by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 3:26 PM
  • 23 Replies
At Bowen's appointment last week, i was told not to let him nurse more than 30 minutes cuz then he starts burning more calories than he consumes. Is this true? Should i start limiting his time?

It's been on my mind, so i wanted to ask. I haven't started limiting him yet tho. TIA for the help. :)

**EDIT**
Thank you ladies! I thought it sounded wacky myself so i just did the 'smile and nod' at the time. But it was on my mind, so i thought i'd ask. I really appreciate the help again. :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 3:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lillybug222
by Bronze Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 3:26 PM
1 mom liked this
If it's true, I've never heard it....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
notjstanothrmom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 3:27 PM
What? That's silly.
SadieJames
by Sarah on Apr. 2, 2013 at 3:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Where in the world did the pedi learn that garbage?  No, not true.  

This is why they should stick to actual medical advice.  Pedis really should be required to actually know about breastfeeding.

GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 3:41 PM

So he thinks that the more they eat, the skinnier they'll get, huh? 

Just for fun, I'd call before my next appointment and ask him to make that study available when you get there...  It'll be interesting to see what he does.  :)

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Apr. 2, 2013 at 3:46 PM
NO!!! That is not true! Never limit time at the breast! Babies need to suck for comfort and that need is supposed to be met at the breast. Some babies are constant comfort nursers. My second was.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HunnyBabie
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 3:56 PM

I've never heard of that.  Also, once letdown occurs, they're not burning calories sucking, they're just swallowing.

I did switch sides every 30 min, but I offered the first side again after then nursed on the second side; my only goal was to keep my breasts as even as possible (some of my babies ate more heartily at different times of day).

polkaspots
by Gold Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 4:01 PM
3 moms liked this
That's so stupid. Would a pediatrician tell a parent to take away their pacifier because they're burning too many calories? If you can get a new ped, that would be a good idea because this doctor is clearly insane.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stepconfused182
by Kelley on Apr. 2, 2013 at 4:03 PM
What in the world?! That might be one of the biggest lines of bs I've heard yet from a peds mouth. I seriously need to start taking notes and writing a book on this stuff.
Amberleigh81
by Silver Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 4:47 PM
I heard this garbage, too... my newborn nursed 90 minutes a session and was told that he wasn't getting any milk after 10 minutes ...

Um, then why was he gulping multiple letdowns after 10 minutes??? :p
Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Apr. 2, 2013 at 4:59 PM
Total BS, find a new pedi! My son nursed 45 minute sessions and was always off the charts and maintained his growth curve. Never limit time at the breast, babies body is better designed to know his needs than whatever any doc says, esp. since all babies have different needs. :-)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)