Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

sippy cups?

Posted by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 4:04 PM
  • 9 Replies
Ive been trying to get a hold of my breastfeeding lady (lol) shes helped me a lot anyway shes on maternity leave so ill ask here. My 8 month old only bfs no pumped bottles, pacis nothing. My question is when am i able to give her diluted juice in a sippy cup? I cant remember how old my other children were when they started the sippy cup but 2 of them was before their 1st bday and one of them was after. I should add that none of my other children were breastfed so i am a bfing newbie :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 4:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Mrz.Anaya
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 4:10 PM
Bump..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HunnyBabie
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 4:14 PM

BUMP!

MaryJarrett
by Mary on Apr. 2, 2013 at 4:17 PM

I wouldn't give juice, not until after a year. I did, however, introduce a sippy at 4 months (BM only) when I went back to work with my second. I would say that you can do it now with water or breast milk. Apple juice has the same amount of sugar as coke does, so it's not so healthy. We only do it as a very RARE treat here & my girls are almost 3 and 4.5 yrs old, always very diluted. We stick to water. :) 

Mrz.Anaya
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 4:22 PM
Thank u for helping. I would rather give water or breastmilk i just dont want to take her off the breast too early im trying to bf until shes 2. Is water ok to give her at 8 months or wait until shes 1?

Quoting MaryJarrett:

I wouldn't give juice, not until after a year. I did, however, introduce a sippy at 4 months (BM only) when I went back to work with my second. I would say that you can do it now with water or breast milk. Apple juice has the same amount of sugar as coke does, so it's not so healthy. We only do it as a very RARE treat here & my girls are almost 3 and 4.5 yrs old, always very diluted. We stick to water. :) 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MaryJarrett
by Mary on Apr. 2, 2013 at 4:33 PM

That is completely up to you. As long as you don't have a drop in nursing/diapers.  Are you giving solids? That's when most moms will give a sippy cup of water. I never put more water than an ounce or two prior to a year. With solids you want to nurse a full session *directly* before giving them, that's when most of us give a sippy cup too. It's right after a nursing session so you know it's just for practice, and that they are still getting all they need from you. It won't hurt to wait a year if you are unsure though. :) At 9-12 months, I would just skip the sippy cup and go straight to a straw cup though, or a regular cup. 

Quoting Mrz.Anaya:

Thank u for helping. I would rather give water or breastmilk i just dont want to take her off the breast too early im trying to bf until shes 2. Is water ok to give her at 8 months or wait until shes 1?

Quoting MaryJarrett:

I'm Mary married(since 10-5-08) to Dallen, mommy to Serenity(2008) & Caidence(2010). Christian, SAHM, Full- term breast feeding, Cloth diapering, Vaccinating, Anti-CIO/Sleep-training, Natural birthing, holistic loving, AP, ERF, Bedsharing/co-sleepingresearch-loving kinda mama.

Mrz.Anaya
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 5:09 PM
1 mom liked this
Got it! I feel better now lol thank u so much

Quoting MaryJarrett:

That is completely up to you. As long as you don't have a drop in nursing/diapers.  Are you giving solids? That's when most moms will give a sippy cup of water. I never put more water than an ounce or two prior to a year. With solids you want to nurse a full session *directly* before giving them, that's when most of us give a sippy cup too. It's right after a nursing session so you know it's just for practice, and that they are still getting all they need from you. It won't hurt to wait a year if you are unsure though. :) At 9-12 months, I would just skip the sippy cup and go straight to a straw cup though, or a regular cup. 

Quoting Mrz.Anaya:

Quoting MaryJarrett:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Apr. 2, 2013 at 6:17 PM

Plrease... one hour to bump. Oldest posts get answered first; bumps are like hanging up the phone and redialing over and over.

In answer... don't bother. Juice is merely sugar water. Baby is sweet enough. Breastmilk is fine for all of year one.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Apr. 2, 2013 at 7:41 PM
I agree with Mary and gdiamante.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamabens
by Miranda on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:20 PM

I wouldn't do it before 1 if ever, juice is ever needed. I'd just give plain water.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)